Explorer 98' engine Pinging

Hi guys,

I own an Explorer with 4.0 OVH or "pushrod engine" When I bought it, even up hill under load engine was very quiet. Recently I notice under same conditions , pinging sound start to come out from the engine. I understand it's not good if it happened for prolong time but with distributor less model , What to do to minimize or get rid of it?

I switched fuel with Texaco, change plugs and cables but sound still exised.

What else do I need to do to improve?

Please help any ideas will be appreciated

Dosio

Reply to
dosio

state tech via CarKB.com

Just move up one octane grade of gasoline, from regular to the mid-grade, for example. That is why there are different grades, after all. Brands won't make a difference. =Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Reply to
Big Shoe

Try cleaning your MAF sensor. Very easy to do and almost free. Might very well fix it. Google for the procedure. You'll need some electronic switch cleaner and a security type torx bit.

Reply to
Bob

Collectively, you've recieved the best advice possible. I have a 1998 XLT pushrod and have had similar problems over the later years, mostly in Summer when the temperature in NC/SC USA where I live is 90 Fahrenheit or hotter. For what it's worth, my XLT runs very well on Royal Dutch Pet. (Shell) fuels. That's all I use.

  1. Clean MAF with solvent.

and/or

  1. Upgrade to 89 or 92 octane fuel.

and/or

  1. Replace MAF.

Reply to
Max Wedge

Reply to
dosio

Don't forget to check the intake for vacuum leaks( very common)

Might be a lean ping

Spray carb or t-body cleaner @ the intake gasket area and EGR tube where it goes into intake and listen for rpm changing Or use a unlit propane torts

BE CAREFUL Dosio

Reply to