98 Ford Explorer XLT - Transmission and brake system are linked??

This is my first posting ever on the net, but due to the lack of info available here in South Africa, excuse it being a long one - I'm desperate!!

About a year ago I started having problems with my brakes feeling spongy at time and kept changing pads although my mechanic said I always had about 5000km(3K miles)left. I then had problems depressing the button to disengage Park. This happened in the mornings and late evenings(I assumed that the trans needed to warm up. Mechanic said that that should not be the case as this is SA, no extreme cold weather.

Four weeks ago I noticed that my brake fluid resevoir had dropped substantianlly and topped it up immediately.I then checked for leaks and found none however a day later I changed the pads for safe measure.

Last week I noticed a clunking noise when moving off in Reverse under load/uphill (just one clunk at the back),she then started rolling even in Park, and now on downhills it feels as if she is slipping.

The funny thing is that on her good days the brakes seem to work fine including the handbrake, and when she shows the other evil symtoms the brakes feel spongy and the handbrake seems non-existant. AM I MISSING SOMETHING, HERE OR AM I JUST PLAIN STUPID.

I have limited knowledge of auto's and would appreciate any help.

She is a 4.0l SOHC V6 with 5speed auto(controlTrac)4x4, and I love her!

Thanks Delron - Johannesburg,SA

Reply to
Delron

here in South Africa, excuse it being a long one - I'm desperate!!

time and kept changing pads although my mechanic said I always had about

5000km(3K miles)left.

to warm up. Mechanic said that that should not be the case as this is SA, no extreme cold weather.

substantianlly and topped it up immediately.I then checked for leaks and found none however a day later I changed the pads for safe measure.

load/uphill (just one clunk at the back),she then started rolling even in Park, and now on downhills it feels as if she is slipping.

the handbrake, and when she shows the other evil symtoms the brakes feel spongy and the handbrake seems non-existant. AM I MISSING SOMETHING, HERE OR AM I JUST PLAIN STUPID.

Reply to
Big Shoe

Thanks for the advice, it may just be possible as the slipping occurs when the vehicle is not underload ie downhill. Any other suggestions and/or experiences are most welcome

Reply to
Delron