Parking brake in '97 Altima

My wife's car is a 1997 Altima, and the other day, the parking brake light started coming on while she was driving, and she said that she could feel the car slow down, as if the brakes had indeed engaged a little bit. It would occasionally stop, then come back. My wife, however, never uses her parking brake, so the handle had never been pulled. When you DO pull on the brake handle, the engagement and resistance feel completely normal, no slack at the first.

I jacked up the rear wheels, both of which turned freely, then I noticed in the repair manual that this model has the parking brake hooked to all four wheels.

Before I start tearing everything apart to track down the culprit, any suggestions on the most likely places to start looking?

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

Bingo!

The reservoir was low, I filled it, light went off. I looked at the front brakes, the pads are VERY low, hence the low reservoir level. I'll have to do the pads pretty soon, I guess.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe