99 Ford Explorer XLT front brake Rotors

On these 99 Ford Explorer's XLT, do the front brake Rotors just slide off the hub, or are they the type that I need to disassamble the front hubs to replace/machine?

Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Hi Tony,

I'm gonna guess that you've already done brakes on other cars before, but on my 95 it has the "disposa" rotors, that just come off with a little persuasion with a mallet. There may be small flat sheet metal clips that push over the lug nut studs to hold the disc during assy. You can dispose of these. The discs are held on with the lug nuts. If you're doing this yourself, read a few back posts about the lubing the caliper slides, compressing the caliper pistons, etc. You need to be careful regarding antilock brakes and pushing old fluid back into the lines. Antiseize, proper torques, etc is important. No need to disassemble hubs. I spent 250 on rotors and ceramic pads from NAPA, and it was worth it.

Reply to
Ted