98 S Belt Squeal

When I started my 1998 Explorer XLT last night a squeal started up as well.

Ok, I guessed the fan/accessory/serpentine belt (what are they called these days?) is loose, also confirmed as my "volts" gauge was indciating towards the low side.

Lifted the hood this morning - and found I could deflect the belt several inches on the longest side (near the a/c compressor) with what looks like an tension adjustment idler under the alternator moving back and forth on it's arm as I deflected the belt.

Question: is this idler the tension adjuster?

If yes, is it manually set or under spring tension to automatically keep the belt tight?

If it's spring tension, then I'm guessing that it's not repairable and will need to be replaced?

Any help appreciated, it's Saturday morning here (Australia) so the Ford Dealer is shut, I'm 130km's away from home at my workplace so I really need to know is there anything I can do to get myself home on Sunday night after my shift ends or will it be a matter of waiting until Monday when the dealer opens?

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
sharpst

The tentioner is spring loaded and known to go bad. Change it before you get stuck on the side of the road.I would check the belt for damage at the same time.

If I were you (since you have a long drive) I would find somewhere to sleep and have it changed first thing Monday morning.

It's a ~US$40 part and a 15 minutes job.

zoti

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Ok, you've confirmed what I thought it was.

I was lucky, the tensioner is available as a non-genuine part under AUD$50, the bad news is that it won't be in until Tuesday morning......

I'll buy a new belt and stick that on at the same time, the car has just gone 100,000km so it's probably a good idea I guess.

Thanks again for you advice,

Steve

Reply to
sharpst