accessories belt squeal

I have a belt squeal coming from the accessories drive belt on my 2001 Ford Focus Zetec engine. The back side of the belt was really glazed so I lightly sanded the back of the belt to get rid of the glaze, (somewhat). I also checked the crankshaft pulley, belt tensioner, idler roller, water pump, AC compressor and power steering pump they all "appear" to be OK. This removing the glaze from the back of the belt stopped the noise for a while but it now has started to returned, so is the glaze. I was told that there was a service bulletin from Ford regarding this problem but I have been unable to find out anything about this TSB. I do not want to just replace the belt only to have this problem to reoccur because its to do with an idler roller or something else.Any help with this problem would be welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
Gino

In message , Gino writes

Here's the TSB:-

Model: Focus with Zetec-E or Zetec-SE engine, built up to 30.03.2001 (build code 1M) inclusive

Markets: All

Subject: Howling noise from accessory drive belt during the warm-up period at 2000 - 3000 rev/min at ambient temperatures below 10º C for a period of 2 - 3 minutes.

Summary

Should a customer express concern over a howling noise coming from the accessory drive belt area during the warm up period at 2000 - 3000 rev/min, at ambient temperatures below 10º C for a period of 2 - 3 minutes, the probable cause is bearing interferences in the accessory drive belt idler pulley. To rectify this concern, a revised idler pulley should be installed.

This bulletin supersedes TSB 62/2000 dated 16.05.2000. The details under "Parts Required" have been updated.

Parts Required

Description Finis Code

Idler pulley for vehicles 1 134 084 with Zetec-E engine

Idler pulley for vehicles 1 139 951 with Zetec-SE engine

Accessory drive belt see Microcat

Production Action

A revised idler pulley with an improved bearing and revised surface has been installed in production since 30.03.2001 (build code 1M).

Service Instructions

See Summary.

Install a new drive belt idler pulley

  1. Slacken the accessory drive belt and remove it according to Operation No. 21 567 0 (Workshop Manual/TIS-CD).
  2. Install a new idler pulley (see Parts Required).
  3. Install a new accessory drive belt (see Parts Required) and tension it according to Operation No. 21 567 0 (Workshop Manual/TIS-CD).
Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thank you for your feed back , but my problem is belt "squeal" (its now chirping since I partially got rid of the belt glaze) when I accelerate (load up the engine). I assume that the accessories belt is slipping as the back of the belt gets badly glazed up. According to a friend of mine who works for an independent service station there is a TSB issued by Ford U.S and Canada pertaining to accessory belt squeal, sent out in May/June of this year. I asked the Dealer Service department about it, but they want me to bring the car in, and declined to give me the what it says in the TSB. I asked them if it was covered under a secret warranty or customer satisfaction program but they said no. I have heard of other owners with the same problem.