98EB Door Lock Mechanism

I have a 98EB, and the driver door lock mechanism is not working properly. The power door lock motor works fine, but something mechanical is stopping the lock mechanism from fully locking the door. Pressing the power lock button activates the motor, but the button does not move all the way down to lock the door, and it cannot be pressed or forced down. Also, when the key is used, it also faces resistance to locking all the way, therefore the door cannot be locked. The handle is working fine opening and closing the door, but just cannot be locked. Does anyone have a schematic or mechanical drawing of what the mechanism should look like or some assistance in fixing my problem. Thanks

Reply to
tlim

My 98 just had the same problem. I found a spring had broke and had jammed up in the door latch assembly. I lucked out and was able to remove the spring. Seems to work OK without the spring for now. I will take the door latch assembly out and see if I can replace the spring. You can?t by a replacement spring from the dealer and the door latch assembly costs around $60. If you look in the latch assembly you might see the spring. It looks like a small throttle return spring off a chainsaw or small engine. If you can?t see one, you can compare the other door latch to see what and where it is. Should be visable if there is one.

Len

Reply to
lad903

My passenger door lock is broken as well. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, so have a quick question. Does the inner door assembly/covering come off easily?

Thanks, Shannon

Reply to
SSSSTAMP