A front-end "rattling"" tip

About two weeks back, I posted a message asking about replacing the air ride on my 1997 Limited with regular shocks. The reason for this was this niggling metallic rattle that sounded like a bag of coins from inside the cabin and I could not get rid of it.

I had all bushes changed (control arm, upper wishbone, stab links, stab brackets), all ball joints (up and down) and tie rods, and to be doubly sure brake rotors, pads, and a new caliper kit going. Still that rattle.

I was training my sights on the air shocks when one of in house guys took a mallet to the wheel to try to make the rattle manifest itself. Well it did. And I kicked myself when I found out what it was.

Apparently, a screw that held down the fender liner had fallen off and the liner would rattle and resonate ONLY when the truck hits an imperfection on the road.

How do you like that! Screwed by a screw!

Reply to
boomouse

Ouch!!!

Reply to