Front end noise on 99 jeep cherokee

Over the past few days i've noticed a noise coming from the front end. Sounds like a wheel spinning. There is no grinding or much vibration. Gets louder at higher speeds. 147K on it. New pads on it about a month ago. Although it is 4x4, we removed the front axles a couple of years ago due to damage (wasn't worth repairing). Trans fluid is clean. Friend mentioned harmonic balancer. That sounds like I should have a lot of vibration. I don't really have any. Car is acting like it always has - no shifting problems, starts fine, nothing. I did put the car in Neutral at 60 and noise did not go away. Trying to avoid hefty bill for paid off car. Any mechanics have an idea.

Reply to
bschwit

Noise can resonate through a vehicle's body and frame. I had one case when I was younger when we were sure we had a bad rear axle bearing, and it was actually on the front.

Jack it up and spin all four wheels by hand listening for a rough sound.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

At sixty miles an hours did you let the engine return to idle? Since a friend mentioned balancer, look down at it sight aligning the pulleys and see if it's out:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

At 147k you may have a bad spindle, especially. Put the front axle on jack stands and check for looseness or rumble.

Reply to
jeff