about 1998 explorer

Hi every body, I write you from france. I just learnt my 98 explorer would have been controlled by ford compagny because there is a problem with one of the distribution chain. but it has not been controlled Is there anybody who know that ? is there somebody who know this problem of the chain which touch the plastic carter, and parts of plastic have gone in the engine and with the time, broke it ? I need to know if that is true, because my engine has always problem after 2 diagnosis and changed some parts. one of the red light of the panel board has been on twice, in 3 month, so that explains why 2 diagnosis etc.... If somebody can help me, telling me the list of the VIN number of the cars which needed to return in factory, please, let me know. or the address of one compagny who can tell me with my VIN number if my car needed this control.... my 98 explorer has just 79 000 kms ( about 45 000 miles) and comes from germany. I don't what to do now, i don't want to spend more money, and a man said me I have to change the engine .... what is true ? may be somebody can help me, thank you very much in advance. Thank you also for understanding my english. hope to read someone soon Claude

Reply to
Claude

Claude: go to

click on "groups" and write "explorer timing chain" or "explorer timing chain noise" and you will find much information about your problem.

Ford did extend the warranty on the timing chains on the SOHC V6 engines but I don't know the details. There is a chance your Explorer is still under warranty. If the 8th digit in your VIN is "E" then you have this particular engine (unless the VIN numbers are different over there).

Reply to
Ulysses

Hi Thank you for your help. After many phone calls I learnt my 98 explorer has gone to ford recall for the timing chain retensioneer. but now I wonder why the engine starts the evening but die immediatly if I don't put gas. if I don't touch the gas pedal , the engine run high and down , and high again, and down. and die. When it is about hot, engines runs better. I just change a lot of sensors (MASS AFS) water sensor, thermostat.... and leave lot of money in the garage... do any people know what ? there is a little metallic noise in the engine. Do you think it can be once again the time chain ???? i realy wonder what is happening ? Claude

Reply to
Claude

The idle problem you describe could be a sticking Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. They usually cause some problems in Explorers as old as yours. It is not a real expensive item and easy to change.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

hi Vic, OK for the IAC valve, but in this case , is there not a default code when the diagnosis is maden ? But sending parts in france is very expensive, what do you think about rockauto.com (web site )parts price ? because shipping to france is very expensive for this only part. And i heard about IAC valve, when it is out of service, engine always die, and mine doesnt always die. Do you know if there has been other recall from ford for 98explorer ? Where can i know if there is new a recall ? Ford france did'nt know that a recall has been for timing chaintensionneer.... so you can imagine how it is difficult for us! thank for your help and thank for understanding my english Claude

Reply to
Claude

Hello, Claude. Getting Explorers serviced there must be like trying to get Citroens serviced here! I am not sure what trouble code would be presented. I know I had a Check Engine light when the idle couldn't be maintained, but it was probably related to low idle speed. At times my IAC valve would make a sound like a horn blowing, too. You can remove it and try cleaning it, which may buy some time, but the part is relatively inexpensive (perhaps $35-$50). It is an aluminum colored device in the intake air line after the MAF sensor and it has an electrical connection on the side. Once removed, you can see the valve operated by a plunger. The plunger seems to stick and sometimes the valve leaks air, I think.

Reply to
Vic Klein

Thank you for you answer. if you need something about Peugeot or citroen, don't hesitate to ask me, I can help i think. My husband has just modified the screw near the gas cable, ans the engine runs a little speeder. We hope that will be enought for now. But i think i will change IAC valve, and wonder if that is not the part which is wrong from the begining... have a nice day Claude

Reply to
Claude

I did the screw adjustment on my '99 so it would run long enough to get it to the dealer (it was still in warranty). The problem was the IAC valve, which is a weak point on these models. I think I cleaned or replaced the valve about four times on my '99. Cleaning sometimes helps (do a Google search and you will find a lot of info), but replacement seems to be a better solution.

I didn't see many Explorers >Thank you for you answer.

Reply to
Big Shoe