93 Ford Explorer Stalls While Driving

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 L that started stalling while driving about six month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart it without a problem. The occurrence is very random and there is never anything common between occurrences. It used to happen only one time during a day until about two weeks ago when it happened twice within about 10 minutes. It took about 10 minutes each time before it would restart. Both those times, even though it died like the key was turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. The problem seemed to start about the time the vehicle was run extremely low on gas. Since then the following has been done: fuel filter replaced, tune-up performed (plugs and wires), fuel pump and EEC relays replaced, MAF sensor cleaned and the IAC valve inspected. The service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to drive with this condition. Any suggestions as to cause and solution are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Reply to
rjsdes

Has anyone checked the fuel pressure yet ?

Reply to
Mike

The shop tested the fuel pressure during one of its visits and said it was okay. It is so random it might have been fine during that test. I would like to put a fuel pressure gauge on on it so I can monitor it while driving but havn't figured out what to purchase and where to install it. I know it probably goes on the fuel rail or maybe I need to install a tee fitting to make it work.

Reply to
Rich

Monitor the ignition too. Loss of spark is cause for more than of shutdown complaints. Paraticularly if its abrupt like someone turning off the key. You can duct tape a timing light to the windshield to check.

Don

Don

It has had the fuel pressure checked while in the shop. It is in the shop right now and hasn't stalled for them. I recommended they put a fuel gauge on it so when it does stall we will be able to see what the pressure is at that point.

Reply to
Rich

Hey Rich,

I am just started having the same problem with my 94' Explorer XLT Automatic, please let me know when you figure it out.

Reply to
jimasell

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote: ( 1993 Ford Explorer 4.0 L )

It began started stalling while driving about six months ago. It shuts off like someone turned the key. Originally you could push in the clutch and immediately restart it. It used to happen once daily, most recently twice a day. It now takes about 10 minutes each time to restart. Shutdown is random and there is nothing common between occurrences.

I had the fuel filter, plugs & wires, fuel pump relay, and EEC relay replaced, the IAC valve inspected, and the MAF sensor cleaned. The mechanic said there is no error code. The vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. ______________________________________________________________

The condition is typical of an intermittently failing ignition module. The failure doesn't set any code, and it is difficult to detect because it will bench test good. If you leave it in the tester long enough to heat up, the failure sometimes appears. Then if you disconnect it and it cools down a little it will test good again.

When I experience this kind of failure I throw a $35 ignition module at it. That usually does the job. If not, I take it to a profe$$ional mechanic.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

has the cam or crank sensor been tested?

Reply to
snupytcb

Ford Ignition Module sleeping sickness. I have seen this a couple times. Swap the module out.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

replying to Rodan, Jeffrey Burns wrote: When you say ignition module do you mean the Ignition Coil - Coil pack?

Reply to
Jeffrey Burns

replying to Scott Dorsey, Jeffrey Burns wrote: When you say ignition module do you mean the Ignition Coil - Coil pack?

Reply to
Jeffrey Burns