Advice on changing shocks 99 XLT

I've changed shocks on other cars before but this is a first on my truck. Any tips or pointers I should know? I know someone mentioned lower the spare tire, but is there any other advice I should know about?

Reply to
Mikepier

Did it on my 92. Easy smeezy. Don't know about the 99. Have to jack the chassis a bit to take the pressure off. I recommend getting a Haynes manual. I wanted mine to match the old ones so first I spray-painted the new ones with several coats of Rust-Oleum. Then I waxed them. Nice and shiny!

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Wow, I can imagine what the paint job on your truck looks like.

Reply to
Mikepier

You can it, shocks and all here. I like to keep the underside nice and glossy!!! Okay, I'm a bit over the top. :O)

Anthony Giorgianni

(Sorry if this appear twice. I cancelled my original response because I forgot a word.)

You can see it, shocks and all, here. I like to keep the underside nice and glossy!!! Okay, I'm a bit over the top. :O)

Anthony Giorgianni

Nice job on the undercarriage. Truck looks brand new.

Reply to
Mikepier

Thanks Mike. I'm trying to see how long I can keep it new looking. My friends call it the "Museum Piece."

Good luck with your shock change. Unless there is something really different with the 99 (I hope somebody will add here who knows that year better), I think you should do it. I had fun. I did try to use the torque settings on the bolts. But as I remember, I could not get the torque wrench on the front ones.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Damn, that sure does look good, I too have OCD when it comes to mine, I have a '97 with 85000 and she still looks new. YOu could fry an egg on the motor and eat it! I am so maticulous with it that in the summer I jack er up pull off the tires and get under it with my power washer. I will literally spend an entire day cleaning the truck. My neighbors think me strange I'm sure. But, I have not had ANY problems with the truck, aside from ball joints, shocks, tires and tensioner. and OH YEAH whats with the steering wheel covers on these things? My so called leather wheel cover wore out down to the foam. I had to buy new leather and sew it on. I have seen many of these with the same problem.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1

Keeping it clean makes it fun to work on too. Yes, and neighbors make fun of me as well :O)

I like the wash the engine everything I wash the car. I also ...... well... wax the painted areas inside the engine compartment :O), as well as the door/hatch jambs and hinges, skid plates. I go nuts with Rust-Oleum - only a very light coat though... even the front drive shifts, steering knuckles, tie rods ... all of that. A little paint goes a long way!

Haven't have any problem with the leather on by steering wheel, by the way. My 92 now is up to 71,000 miles.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I have a similar problem on my '97 XLT 5.0

The leather (or vinyl)cover is OK, but the foam under the cover has degraded and makes the cover loose and lumpy, I have it covered right now with one of those slip on deals, but that is only a temporary (and somewhat tacky) solution.

Has anyone ever replaced the wheel cover? Is it even available as a part or do you have to replace the whole wheel?

TIA,

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound