Antilock woes

I have a '97 Explorer with the 5.0, AWD. Lately I've been experiencing an issue with the antilock brakes. When slowing down, the antilocks will kick in once the speed of the vehicle drops below 5-10 mph. This is happening on a consistent basis, and is quite annoying. The antilock dash light is not on, and the vehicle stops fine otherwise. I just replaced the front brakes today, new rotors and pads, and the problem is still there. I pulled the antilock pickup from the hubs while I was in there and cleaned them off, with no luck. Any thoughts on what to look for to try and solve this problem. I'm about ready to just take it to a shop to have it diagnosed.

Many thanks

Jason

Reply to
Jason S

A cracked or chipped tone ring, wiring concerns or even corrosion on a connector can cause this. The easiest way is to use a capable scan tool to monitor wheel speed signals (after checking for codes - even though the light isn't illuminated - even though you didn't mention if the light proves out)

If this stuff was THAT simple, I wouldn't have a job....

Reply to
Jim Warman

My 95 did the same thing. Turned out to be sensor hubs. At low speeds, they couldn't detect wheel movement so they released the brakes because it was sensed as a brake lock-up situation. In my case, all 4 were replaced. They have a tendency to get dirty & collect rust. I don't believe they can be cleaned. Ford picked up half the tab for mine. Not a cheap fix.

Good luck, T> I have a '97 Explorer with the 5.0, AWD. Lately I've been

Reply to
Tony P.

I never said anything was gonna be easy, and I'm not hoping to put any mechanics out of work. Just wanted to pose the question in case anyone else had run into this situation, and give me some idea's to look for before coughing up the cash to take it in and get checked. Btw, codes were checked, and all that came up was a code related to the O2 sensors. I could be wrong, but I doubt that could cross over to an antilock issue. The antilock and check engine lights are illuminated when starting the vehicle, so I think it is safe to assume they are not burnt out. Thanks for the idea on checking connections and such for corrosion, I'll give that a look.

Jason

Reply to
Jason S

Ouch, that was an answer I was not hoping for. I've already checked pricing on the hubs, and at the local Advance Auto they are about $200 each. How long ago did you have that done? Despite being a 97, I still only have 57k miles on the clock. Would be nice if Ford would help out. Last year I had to replace ball joints at only 51k miles on the clock. Not been very happy with the high dollar stuff going wrong at such low mileages.

Jason

Reply to
Jason S

Reply to
Tony P.

This is a common problem with both of my 97 AWD Astro van and 95 X sport. They are both having the same ABS design at the front wheels. The problem was fixed by removing the Front ABS sensor and then clean out all the rust build up on the mounting surface with a wire brush fitted on a drill. The cause of this problem was rust build up underneath the sensor, lifting the sensor slightly off its base. There was a GM bulletin regarding this problem and this was the method GM suggested for the fixes. I found it in the Internet when I was having this same problem. Both of my trucks are ok after the cleaning.

Reply to
Kai

"Jason S" wrote in news:6wV3d.7953$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

My 96 does the same thing. It pulls subtly to the right at low speed when ABS starts. Right wheel will slide in the snow while left wheel doesn't.

If left sensor has no signal at low speed then ABS computer would pulse the left wheel. If right sensor is noisy, then ABS would pulse the left wheel too.

How do you find out? I can't trust the dealer any more. Too many things broke when they fix something else.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Nmeet