Auto Trans Engine Braking in Low

I have a 99 Ford Explorer XLT. An NRMA (Australian equivalent of AA) check before warranty expiry says the auto "neutralizes" when put in low and doesn't provide any engine braking. If I change manually to 2 from D at say 60 kph (40 mph) the tacho shows increased revs, but if I change manually from 2 to 1 at say 30 kph (20mph) the tacho needle doesn't move, just stays at idle. Does anyone know whether this is a known problem with Explorer autos? Cheers Paul Sydney, Australia

Reply to
Paul Hanly

Once you put it into 1, it may not shift right away due to your rate of speed. If you slow down a little more, it may shift down and you will feel your speed decrease rapidly once it does.

Had an auto tranny that would wait until you were at a rate of speed that "it thought" would be safe to shift.

Say you were doing 60MPH and dropped it down into 1st...

I can't speak for 99 Explorer's, but it might be the same situation...

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

Doesn't overdrive only work when you're already in top gear? Turning it off when you're in 2nd won't achieve anything, as it's already out of OD. No?

Reply to
bill

Yes, this is a reported problem with some of the Explorer Transmissions. THere were some postings about it a year or so ago. I don't recall the details but I believe the fault is in the valve body and it's a relatively simple repair, at least compared to rebuilding the transmission. The valve body is not properly routing the fluid pressure when you put it in manual 1st so the right clutches are not being applied and you get no engine braking. A search of google might turn up some more details. Good luck.

Reply to
AZGuy