98 corolla auto trans, 3 or 4 speed?

I have a 98 corolla and don't quite know if the auto trans is a 3 spd or 4 with an over drive. How can I tell?

Reply to
Philip Kline

If you have the VE model, it has a 3 speed. If you have a CE or LE model, it is a 4-speed.

if you get it into 1st gear (shift it into first when go slowly, like 5 mph), and then slowly accelerate (in drive), you should be able to count the shifts (2 if you have a 3-speed, 3 with a 4-speed). However, when your torque converter locks up, it may feel like a shift, if you have a looking torque converter.

If you have the original window sticker, it should tell you, too.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yes, it is a VE so it's a 3 spd. Don't know about the locking torque converter. What kind of highway mileage can I expect at, say, 65mph? Any idea?

Reply to
Philip Kline

The torque converter locks up at a certain speed, so that the power goes directly to the transmission. It save fuel. If you can feel 3 shifts when you accelerate from first (or your tachometer goes down 3 times as you speed up), you probably have a locking torque converter.

You can read about torque converters here:

Hard to tell. The next few times you take a trip at 65 mph, check your mileage. I would expect 30 to 35 mpg.

Reply to
Jeff

I'm driving it all this week so I'll know Friday afternoon how it's doing mileage-wise. The transmission is so smooth that it's hard to tell when it shifts or if it's locking up the torque converter.

Why would Toyota put 2 different auto transmissions on their Corollas in that year? Economics?

Reply to
Philip Kline

it is more expensive to make a 4-speed over a 3-speed. So they only put the 4-speed in the more expensive models.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

isn't this how toyota always makes it...

P R N D 2 L .....4 speed P R N D L .....3 speed

Check what it say on your shift lever

I have a 5 speed Camry so it has P R N D 4 3 2 L

Reply to
EdV