AWD operation question

I've driven a '97 Explorer with Control Trak for years. It works well and I especially appreciate the ability to lock the transfer case in poor conditions providing an immediate improvement in traction without waiting for a wheel to slip.

Our new (to us) '08 V8-AWD Mountaineer has a less accessible function reached through the info center that reads AWD Locked or Unlocked. Just what does that do? Is that a way to lock the transfer case? Neither the owner's manual nor the shop manual provide any enlightenment on this.

=Vic=

Reply to
Vic Klein

If it's the "Intelligent 4WD system" then it doesn't have a mechanical lock according to:

That setting sounds like it tells the computer to lock it though, not sure if that is equivalent though (maybe your delser knows?).

Note your 97 Ford had the original "Control-Trak" system with an electromagnetic clutch that could be locked. Your new AWD system uses a viscous coupling unit.

Reply to
Al Williams