Explorer update in 1995- good?

What's the consensus on the success of the changes Ford made to the Explorer in 1995- were they good?

I'm shopping for an Explorer, and most familiar with the 1994 which I really liked. It's going to be a secondary vehicle for use when I'm going to drive gravel/dirt roads, a little bit of bumping around in fields, maybe some light towing. I don't plan on putting a lot of miles on it, and it's going to get dirty, so a new or newer Explorer would be a waste. '93 to '98's are in my price range.

I know about the pros and cons of the OHV/SOHC/V8 engines, and the manual transmission, how about the automatic transmission? Were there years to avoid, or desirable years? I've read that they normally go

175,000 miles, so I plan to factor that in.

I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for or avoid.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

That was a good series for the Explorer and extremely reliable. Biggest changes from the gen-1 Explorers besides the grille are the IFS and Control-Trak 4WD.

IMHO, the '97 is the choice year. There were some issues with the Control Trak (no locked transfer case option in high range, air disconnect on front axle) and the engine air intake location (low and could ingest water in minor flooding) that were corrected in the '97 and later versions. The '97 retained most of the extra features (like underhood and door lights, glovebox light, and availability of manual trans on an XLT) that were gradually dropped in later models.

I bought my manual-trans XLT new in '96 and have 225K on it now. Goes off-road periodically to service radio repeaters on mountaintops and travels extensively. No problems, runs like a top.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Thanks a lot for all the details. I wasn't aware of those things, so I'll look 'em up- like what the heck Control Trak is. ;-)

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

This is interesting stuff. I found an excellent explanation of how Control Trak works in an article on how to add a switch so you CAN lock it in 4H:

There were three slightly different systems included in the second-generation Explorers. The All Wheel Drive is a full-time system and cannot be modified to be full-time four-wheel drive or two-wheel drive. The second and third systems used in the '95-'96 and '97-'01 model years were both called 'Control Trac 4 Wheel Drive' Both systems used the (insert model here) transfer case. The '95-'96 used a front axle equipped with a Center-Axle Disconnect, which was done away with on the '97 model year in favor of a live axle (and fewer parts to fail when needed most)

Depending on the operator selection, the transfer cases in both systems were actuated by one of two GEM-controlled sources: The Torque On Demand Relay and the Transfer Case Shift Relay. The transfer case contains a Transfer Case Clutch Coil, which is what locks the front and rear driveshafts together. Power for the TCCC is fed via a brown wire, hence the familiar name. The Transfer Case Clutch draws approximately

5A of current. Make sure that all the components used in the wiring and switch are rated for at least 10A to be safe.

Some more specific background on the two systems.

'97-'01 (switch says, 4auto, 4high, 4low)

The '97-'01 model years lack a true 2 wheel drive option. With a live front axle, there are no significant mileage gains to be had by driving the rear wheels alone. That being said, some of us simply prefer to determine when the front wheels should drive and when they shouldn't, instead of relying on a computer to make that decision for us.

In 4 auto, the GEM monitors the wheel speeds. When it determines that there is wheel slippage, it sends the signal to the Torque On Demand relay to actuate the Transfer Case Clutch Coil via the brown wire. By interrupting the power flow to the Transfer Case Clutch Coil, you prevent the front driveshaft from locking to the rear, hence a true two wheel drive.

Now, please note that the TOD relay is either on or off, and the Transfer Case Clutch is either engaged or disengaged. The relay and GEM do not vary the amount of power applied to the transfer case, they simply vary the DUTY CYCLE of the TCC. The transfer case is either engaged or disengaged at any given moment.

When you select 4 high from the switch on the dash, the GEM sends the signal to the Transfer Case Shift Relay to engage 4 high. This sends power directly to the Transfer Case Clutch Coil, essentially a 100% duty cycle.

If you select 4 low, the transfer case remains locked, but engages a set of planetary gears to obtain the low range gear reduction. The front and rear driveshafts are still linked solely by the Transfer Case Clutch. By interrupting the power flow to the TCCC when in 4 low, the transfer case disengages the front driveshaft, even though the planetary reduction gears are engaged. This results in a true 2wd low range.

'95-'96 (Switch says, 2WD, 4auto, 4 low)

The system used in the early second generation Explorers was very similar to the later second gens. The '95 and '96 model years used the same transfer case as the '97-01 in conjunction with a Center-Axle Disconnect on the front axle. In 2wd mode, the transfer case is unlocked, and the CAD essentially breaks the passenger side axle shaft between the front differential and the passenger side halfshaft. That allows the front differential to stop turning, leaving the driver's side wheel to drive only the spider gears inside the diff.

When you engage 4auto on a '95-'96, the GEM switches the signal to a vacuum solenoid (insert picture here) which locks the CAD, thereby connecting the front half of the drivetrain and forcing the front driveshaft to turn with the wheels. Then, when the GEM determines that the rear wheels are turning faster than the fronts, it momentarily locks the transfer case, linking the front and rear driveshafts together for a period of time. The GEM then unlocks the transfer case, checks for slipping again, and, if necessary, locks the transfer case again. This produces some clunking and unconventional engagement and disengagement that many people don't like.

To combat this, we simply bypass all the GEM-controlled electronics and, using a simple switch, apply power directly to the transfer case clutch coil, again via the brown wire.

4 low functions the same way as in the '97-'01 models. The transfer case engages a planetary gear set, providing the low range gear reduction. Interrupting the power flow to the TCCC will, again, disengage the front driveshaft, providing you with 2 wheel drive low.
Reply to
carbide

The V8 wasn't added till the '96 model year, 4R70W transmission used with the V8 is a very good transmission.

Fred 2