Mountaineer AWD transfer case explosion!

Not too much luck this Christmas with my 97 Mountaineer with an V8 and AWD.Upon slowing down from highway speed to about 35 mph, I heard a loud thunk and a explosion underneath my Mountaineer. It's was my AWD transfer case disengrating and grinding like crazy. Due to the holiday's the Mountaineer is sitting at home waiting in line to get a transfer case. I could really use some advice on what to expect from a mechanic and how much this adventure is going to set me back. Can a used transfer case from a junk yard be a reasonable option or would I be asking for trouble? Maybe Ebay or some internet shop with a rebuilt? Sorry but I'm confused and need some help. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
98xltman

I've only heard of only one other person have this piece of the AWD system go out. I think they had about 140K miles though. How many miles do you have on this? Overall they have seemed to quite reliably.

Jon '96 XLT AWD V8

86K Miles

Reply to
Jon Miller