Ball Joint or Outer TRE

2000 XLT 4WD, 50k miles, SOHC

Clunk when going over bumps, certain roads it's real clunkity.

Dealer "checked" the ball joints at my request and state the driver's side needs replacement. At the same time I took it in I pointed out a "clunk" or "pop" sound when I turn the steering wheel full lock to the left, then back off about a quarter turn.

I had my wife turn the wheel as described while I was underneath feeling for the pop, and I can see the outer TRE that is making the noise. And when it does, I see it move up in the joint part at the rubber boot. Would this make the clunking noise I hear over bumps instead of the lower ball joint?

And, lastly, how does one measure play in the lower ball joint? And how easy is it to replace for the DIY-er in a garage with enough tools (no pneumatics)

TIA,

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

Fred 2

They recently replaced my steering rack, although the noise has been there before they replaced it. I put in a voicemail to my service advisor to let me know if the outer TRE was replaced when the rack was.

Reply to
IanCT

To check play in the ball joints on an Explorer, we need to support the car by the lower control arms (it MUST be the control arm and not the frame). To be precise, one could use a dial indicator to measure the lash (Fords measurement for warranty purposes is a whopping .060".... too much for my blood but not much I can do about that).

For my personal vehicles, I perscribe to the "visible play" theory.... If I can see movement, it's likely not long before it starts getting dangerous. Your local partsmonger or rental house should have a C-clamp style ball joint press available for a small charge.

Jim Warman

I have the same symptoms on my 2000 XLT 2wd V8 ...except I get a repeating popping noise when the wheel is turned to the left.

I only hear the noises after a few minutes of driving uneven/bumpy roads--it sounds fine if it hasn't been driven for a while. I've had it to two different shops and they couldn't find anything wrong, so I'd love to know what you did to fix this problem.

Reply to
jmclai