97 XLT Clunks over bumps

Hi all,

I have a problem in the front end of my 97 XLT SOHC that only shows up when the outdoor temp drops to near or below freezing.

There's a clunking noise when going over bumps or rocking the steering wheel back and forth. I've had it into the dealer for this in the past, but the weather hasn't been cold enough to get a diagnosis.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Kenny

Is it coming from the steering wheel? Try this:

General FAQ:

Al Williams

Thanks Al, but it's definately coming from outside the cabin.

Reply to
Kenny

Kenny, It's no help but I think my '98 4X4 Ex has the same problem. Since the cold weather came it has been more noticeable. A light 'clunk' from the front end when going over the slightest bump or turning the steering. I can 'feel' it through the steering wheel but it is definitely in the front axle area, not at the steering wheel end of the system. Even applying the brakes can make the 'clunk' happen. It's more pronounced when the left hand front wheel 'drops', like when diving off a kerb or speed bump (not sure about US terminology here - in the UK a kerb is the bit at the edge of a pavement. Sorry, sidewalk) Anyway, like you I have had the vehicle checked over at my local Ford dealer and they coudn't find anything wrong...

Cheers, Simon H (In the UK)

Reply to
Simon H

I had a very similar clunk in my 96' Sport at only 18,000 miles. Although not temperature related. Happened at 80 degree temps. I had the dealer take a look and they recommended removing the steering column and replacing it's bearings. ($250). A Ford dealer mechanic friend of mine did a little research for me and learned there was a little known TSB regarding this problem which recommended replacing the telescopic coupler shaft between the steering column and the steering box. I bought a new coupler shaft trusting his advice ($75.00) and the clunk disappeared. When I took out my original coupler, I noticed it was sligthtly smaller in diameter and the sliding tube halves where very wobbly and with a much looser fit than the new replacement piece. Evidently, this looseness generated the clunk every time I turned the wheel even slightly. Looks like Ford redesigned this part and made replacements more sturdy with a tighter slip fit between the sliding tubes. No more clunks. I'm a happy camper now. :-)

Reply to
gordo

Thanks Gordo. I'll have to take a look at the coupler shaft on mine and see if it could be the source of the problem.

not temperature related.

recommended removing the steering

learned there was a little

telescopic coupler shaft between

diameter and the sliding

wheel even slightly. Looks

tighter slip fit between the

Reply to
Kenny

Kenny, I only noticed my 'clunk' when I drove without the stereo for a day!!! (I forgot the detachable facia panel!). BTW I'm near Leeds, West Yorkshire

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I have family in Darlington, Bishop Aukland, Newcastle and York. I don't recall seeing many Explorers during my last visit. Mostly Land Rovers and BMWs. Are there a lot of Explorers in the UK?

Reply to
Kenny

Gordo,

Did you do the replacement yourself? If so, what all is involved - something the average shade tree mechanic could do (so far, the toughest thing I've done is replace the upper ball joints)?

I have a similar problem with my '96 XLT 4x4, 87k miles. I started hearing it last winter, it disappeared during the summer, and it's back again this winter. My thought was something rubber that gets harder in the winter, but all the bushings etc. seem to be fine. The Ford shop couldn't find anything loose in the front end. I hear the clunk it mostly when one wheel or the other drops lower than the other, say off a pavement seam or bump. Uneven bumps, where the wheels are going up/down in different directions are the worst. When both wheels move about the same amount in the same direction (up or down), like over a speed bump, no clunk. So something that would be caused by the wheels pulling left or right sounds feasible...

not temperature related.

recommended removing the steering

learned there was a little

telescopic coupler shaft between

diameter and the sliding

wheel even slightly. Looks

tighter slip fit between the

Reply to
Just_Steve

Kenny, I had a similar problem about a month ago. It turned out to be the driver's side tie rod end.

Have you checked this? Replacement part were about 25.00 each (I changed both sides) from partstrain.com

I have a problem in the front end of my 97 XLT SOHC that only shows up when the outdoor temp drops to near or below freezing.

There's a clunking noise when going over bumps or rocking the steering wheel back and forth. I've had it into the dealer for this in the past, but the weather hasn't been cold enough to get a diagnosis.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Vernon and Marla Utley

It's much easier than changing ball joints. No special tools needed. Just remove a couple of bolts. Make sure not to turn the steering wheel while it's disconnected or you may have the wheel 180 off center when you put it back together.

Reply to
gordo

I haven't crawled under it to look yet - it's been too freakin cold around here lately :)