Valve Adjustment

How are the valves adjusted in the SOHC? 50k sounds a little early but I hear a distinct valve rattle under load/acceleration at 2800 to 3000 RPMs. Also in the cold morning the engine will only idle for 2-3 seconds before dying. Have to keep foot on the gas to keep it idle when it does this. Also when starting I can sometimes hear that same rattle described above for a brief instant.

Valves out of adjustment?

How are they adjusted? Are they those little replaceable cam discs that the cam lobs depress to open the valve?

TIA

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

This motor features hydraulic lash adjusters with no provision for adjustment. Additionally, one would expect lifter noise to come when oil pressure is low, typically at idle where a "loose" lifter will bleed down quicker than it can pump up. Since you problem occurs only under acceleration, I would guess that what you are hearing is 'ping'. Some causes may be EGR system, intake gaskets (especially in light of the stalling problem) or MAF sensor. There may be another problem but these would be the most common.

Jim Warman

I was thinking of the intake gasket problem in OOM12 if I'm not mistaken...

What years did that recall cover?

load/acceleration

Reply to
IanCT

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply

Doesn't sound like a rod knock. Thank God.

Reply to
IanCT