Best Shop Manuals for '94 Explorer?

I just bought a 94 Explorer, and like to do as much of my own work as possible. Can anyone recommend a shop manual for the 94 Explorer which has been found to be superior?

Also, I was interested in getting a Ford service manual, and was just looking on ebay. I found a used 2 volume set for $130, and a CD that is said to cover "AEROSTAR, BRONCO, CARGO, DIESEL ENGINE, ECONOLINE ( E150,E250,E350), EXPLORER, F + B SERIES HEAVY TRUCK, F150, F250 , F SUPER DUTY , F450 ,( INCLUDING THE DIESEL ENGINE) , L SERIES HEAVY TRUCK, RANGER, VILLAGER".

The CD is considerably less expensive than the paper manual. Can anyone comment on how good that CD is? I'm used to computers and have a laser printer, so if it's the same as the paper manual, I think I'd prefer the CD. Thanks for your help.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Hi. So you ended up getting a '94? Have fun.

I don't know that much about which manual is which. I just have the Hayne's manual and it's pretty good expcept it has almost NO information on AC and automatic transmissions. It's very clear, however, on how to replace engine gaskets and things like that and some fairly good troubleshooting info. I'm not sure why you would need a $130 manual instead of a $15 manual unless you are rebuilding your automatic transmission or something.

Reply to
Ulysses

Also, I was interested in getting a Ford service manual, and was just looking on ebay. I found a used 2 volume set for $130, and a CD that is said to cover "AEROSTAR, BRONCO, CARGO, DIESEL ENGINE, ECONOLINE ( E150,E250,E350), EXPLORER, F + B SERIES HEAVY TRUCK, F150, F250 , F SUPER DUTY , F450 ,( INCLUDING THE DIESEL ENGINE) , L SERIES HEAVY TRUCK, RANGER, VILLAGER".

The CD is considerably less expensive than the paper manual. Can anyone comment on how good that CD is? I'm used to computers and have a laser printer, so if it's the same as the paper manual, I think I'd prefer the CD. Thanks for your help.

-Paul

Reply to
stevie

Yeah, I was going to buy a '92, but changed my mind. This '94 has higher miles but is in better condition. It's an XLT with manual transmission. It runs and drives well, but does need some work. It was cheap- I was tempted to spend a lot more and get a newer one, but it's not going to be a daily driver. I figured why have a bunch of money tied up in something that sits most of the time- heck, I could get a ski boat if I wanted that. ;-)

The transmission plugs need replacing -I'm going to put in platinums because they'll last 100,000 miles.

The speedometer also reads too high and starts swinging erratically above about 60 mph. I only test drove it to 55, and didn't catch that. I read a lot of posts about this problem, some saying it's the speedo cable, others saying there is no speedo cable, it's electronic using the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)signal. So I'll have to sort that out. Interesting that it reads too high...

I prefer Haynes manuals to Chiltons, but thought I'd ask in case there is a "bible" for the Explorer. The service manual on CD is cheap, so I may get that anyway.

Just kidding about the platinum transmission plugs. ;-))

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Yeah, they're cheaper than a Haynes manual. Is yours extremely detailed? I'd really like to have complete, accurate electrical schematics fpr one thing, and lots of detail on the smog equipment and troubleshooting procedures.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Looks like the answer to that is that 1994 and earlier were mechanical speedos with a drive cable, 1995 and later were electronic speedos.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

If that cd is supposed to be the factory service manual, then I would get it. It has TONS of info in it. I use it, and once you learn your way around, it has ALL the answers unlike Haynes or Chilton

Reply to
ross n via CarKB.com

i have the CD for my 96 Explorer but i prefer my chilton's book.

Reply to
Spud Unger

Well, not kidding, I got 100,000 miles on my platinum plugs. They looked perfect except they looked like they should have been changed at 75,000 ;-)

I thought about getting one of those manuals on CD (very cheap on eBay) but I prefer being able to flip through my manual and walk around with it and put it under the hood of my Explorer and like the fact that it doesn't need any batteries or other electricity. But if the CD has additional information then that would be worth getting. You can also find alternate instructions on some things on Auto Zone's web site. Since I am a long way from being what would rightfully be called an "auto mechanic" I like to get all the instructions I can find before starting any major jobs ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

I was just looking thru the records my '94 came with. The stock platinum plugs are supposed to go 60K miles. So you're probably right.

Yeah- but the paper one would cost me 15X as much- used. Plus it's a lot easier and quicker to search thru a CD than a manual. I figure I'll print out what I need before starting a job, and have the best of both worlds. Greasy finger prints on my keyboard would be a problem. ;-)

That's just being smart. I had two semesters of autoshop in highschool, many moons ago. Best class I ever took. We had a great teacher who also taught electronics, so he really knew his theory. My line of work (electronics) is so broad and changes so fast that you have to be good at using manuals. So same here- I research before starting a job. The net is fantastic for that- I'm going to post the info I found on changing the plastic transmission shift tower plugs.

I ordered an old Haynes and the CD on ebay (cheap!), and I'll probably buy the new Haynes locally. The new Haynes covers a lot of years, but the old one is said to have more detail specific to '94 Explorers.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I just missed it with my old Hayne's manual--it goes from '91-'95 and I just bought a '97. There is no such thing (in the old manual) as four wheel disc brakes or any other engine besides the 4.0 V6 EFI. I looked at a newer manual that goes up to 2001 and it doesn't look much thicker than my old one so without even looking inside (it was shrink-wrapped) it I got the impression that it must have less information in it.

So far the '97 with it's torsion bars and all goes everywhere the '91 and '92 go but I won't know for sure til we get some serious mud. I actually bought it for my daughter (17) and I wanted her to have something that also looks nice--it looked right at home with the new Explorers at the Ford dealer where we bought it. My older ones still look pretty good but all the tiny scratches and dings and minor wear kinda adds up to detract from the overall appearance.

Does your '94 with the manual trans also have manual shift into 4WD? No PITA servo motor? How many miles does it have on it? I've read on the Ford Truck Forum

as many as 350,000 miles on these things and they are still running. My '92 with 272,000 just passed the smog test a couple of weeks ago. My '91 is almost at 200,000.

Reply to
Ulysses

No, it has two buttons for 4WD and Low. The '93 XL I almost bought had the lever and manual hubs. I would have preferred that- less to go wrong.

It has 164K. The transmission and clutch were replaced at 80K, and it's been pretty well maintained judging by the records they gave me. I'll probably just nurse it along, not put a lot of money into it at this point in its life.

I'll see if I can find a donor vehicle at pick and pull with newer shocks and upgraded sway bars, for example. Otherwise the ones it's got will do.

Hey, you're a nice dad. All my daughter got was a Taurus. ;-)

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

My first car was a '61 VW that I paid $300 for. Had to buy it myself.

Reply to
Ulysses

Mine was a '60 Falcon station wagon. It was given to me because it had no oil pressure. My first experience with troubleshooting- I replaced the oil pump, still no oil pressure. The pump was driven by a hex shaft which fit into a socket on the bottom of the distributor shaft. That socket had rounded out.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Mine was a '60 Falcon station wagon. It was given to me because it had no oil pressure. My first experience with troubleshooting- I replaced the oil pump, still no oil pressure. The pump was driven by a hex shaft which fit into a socket on the bottom of the distributor shaft. That socket had rounded out.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I do a lot of work on Fords and have two things:

  1. A Ford CD which cover the whole car for the year in question , and
  2. A Ford "Powertrain/Emissions Diagnosis Manual" (about 4 inches thick, very detailed on OBD stuff) With those 2 about anything on that year ford can be fixed. Would not waste any $ on Haynes. Try Ebay for genuine Ford stuff. Good luck (sometimes you need it!) Oh, The printed Ford printed books contain the same info as the CDs but the books are easier to use. I have both for some years - not 94. Jerry, Kingston, WA
Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Thanks for the tips. I ordered the CD, and eagerly await its arrival...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

If this is the actual Ford shop manual then I'm definately interested too. Where did you get it and how much was it? I've seen some on eBay for not much $$ but figured they might not have any more information in them than my Hayne's manual.

Reply to
Ulysses

Yes, it is supposed to be the official shop manual, and it says it covers a bunch of other Ford models too- the Ranger, Bronco, F-150, F-250, etc.

When it gets here I'll take a look at it and post a review.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Great. BTW did you pay $1600 for your "new" Explorer? If so, wow. It makes me think mine are not worth anything any more though :-(

Since it's a manual (trans) is it a 2-door Sport or the 4-door? I was looking at a 2-door the other day and they look shorter which could be advantagous under certain circumstances.

Reply to
Ulysses