brake deactivation switch

i did a self diagnotics test for the cruise control on a 99 explorer, after replacing the brake deactivation switch (which is what i got from the test) it still gives me the same reading does anyone know where i should look next.....remembering my test still indicates the BDS is open or circuit is defective.....is it possible i need to reset the system and if so how do i ?

Reply to
tml629

How about posting the code that you retrieved and some of us can form an opinion.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

i got 3 flashes at the end of the test before and after i replaced the brake deactivation switch

Reply to
tml629

Well. flash code 3 shows the deactivation switch as one possibility among several.... were any steps of the pin point test performed or was this just a shot in the dark?

Reply to
Jim Warman

this was the only result of flash code 3 that i knew of { which i found on this site ) so i guess it was just a shot in the dark

Reply to
tml629

Check fuse #13 in the CJB (central junction box - instrument panel fuse box)... ther possibilities include wiring and servo.

You might also check to see if yours is covered under the expanded cruise switch recall. While this may not fix your concern, it never hurts...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I thought that recall only applied the the F150's and Expeditions, not explorers. Did Ford expand it to include explorers?

1998 Explorer EB, SOHC.
Reply to
Al Williams

Sorry to jump the gun.... the recall was expanded but it doesn't cover the Explorer.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'm still confused as to why it doesn't cover the eariler explorers. Or am I wrong when I think pre-2002 explorers have this same cruise brake switch which is powered all the time?

1998 Explorer SOHC.
Reply to
Al Williams