Brake questions

My vehicle: 1997 Explorer with V8, ABS and AWD. 98K miles. Carefully maintained. Generally light suburban driving, but used to tow a 5000-lb trailer up to 300 miles about a half-dozen times per year.

My mechanic tells me my rear brake pads should be changed soon, and I can tell by looking that I'll need new rear rotors as well.

Question 1: I've changed brake pads many times, but never on an ABS-equipped vehicle. What extra steps or precautions does the ABS entail? Is it still a reasonable do-it-yourself job, or should I leave it to a pro?

Question 2: Has anybody upgraded their pads or rotors? Any recommendations on brands?

Many thanks!

Reply to
Mags