variation in online gas computer vs manual

This may of been addressed before but I just got a 99 Mountaineer and the computer will say 3 gallons remaining 15 used when the tank is supposed to be 20 or so. Some msgs on here said they got down to 0 miles before the low fuel lite came on, but mine is inactive at around 60 miles remaining. The Mercury should be the same as the explorer. Any help would be nice

Reply to
davidgmg

David,

If you "test" the computer you'll find that it's not much else than a toy. On my 95 it tells me a low fuel message at 50mpg then "refule immediately" or similar at 25 mpg. It allows you clear the low fuel message between 50 and 25 miles left to check the mileage, but after

25 miles of available fuel, it just tells you to refuel. I have often filled the tank till the gas station pump shuts off automaticly, reset the comp and drove around till next time, and always have to put more fuel into it, than the computer claims it used. (Usually ~19.5 actual, but computer says ~18.7 ish used!)

Do the fill up thing then see how far off the comp is.

computer will say 3 gallons remaining 15 used when the tank is supposed to be 20 or so. Some msgs on here said they got down to 0 miles before the low fuel lite came on, but mine is inactive at around 60 miles remaining. The Mercury should be the same as the explorer. Any help would be nice

Reply to
Ted

thanks, I will try the reset button when the low fuel lite comes on. It bugs me cause the gas gauge drops immediately (within 25 miles after filled) so seldom have gone much more than 200 miles without the low fuel lite coming on. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Reply to
davidgmg