Brake wear & Caliper Pin 96 explorer

I am replacing the front brake pads on my 96 Explorer. I twisted off the caliper bolt which goes into the caliper pin. When I called a dealership for a replacement pin, they asked if the pin assembly was original or had been upgraded. I removed the pins, which had a nasty coating on them but could not tell if they had ever been replaced. Does anyone know if there is an actual difference, or are they just selling it as a kit now?

I also noticed that all of the brake pad wear was on the outside pad. Pads on the driver side showed equal wear. Will cleaning the pins and using the right lubricant take care of this or do should I replace the caliper?

Reply to
Joe Wallace

The caliper should be OK but it sounds like the problem lies in the pins (not sliding freely). I've only returned to the dealership in the last couple of years so I can't help on the updated pin issue. Your partsmonger should be able to give you visual clues as to which pins you have.

Reply to
Jim Warman