Disconnect cable from caliper arm

Focus MK1 2004

The rear discs and pads need replacing on the Focus. I am having trouble disconnecting the handbrake cable from the caliper arm. I slackened off the handbrake adjuster by 3 turns and used pliers to push the caliper arm forwards but still not enough slack. Even removed the caliper mounting bolts to get a bit more slack. Haynes suggests it should come off easily.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

Reply to
Vince

You do not need to remove the cable to change the pads, you can get more slack by undoing the opposite caliper and letting that arm move forward (the cables are self balancing)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thank you - Can you change the disc without disconnecting the handbrake cable from the caliper arm? is the enough room? The inner and outer ridges on the disc are pretty high so the discs probably need changing. In fact I noticed that there is a small gap between the outer pad and the disc with maximum brakes applied but the pad looks plenty thick enough. I cant see the inner disc to check. Could the pad slider pins be seized?

Reply to
Vince

Got the pads out without removing the cable. Just need to get a piston winding block, new pads and discs Thanks for your help Mrcheerful

Reply to
Vince

the caliper lifts up after removing the two caliper retaining bolts, then remove the caliper mounting bracket and the disk can then come off. The slidey bits need to be free moving by hand, you need a retractor tool to push the piston back. I doubt whether there is actually a gap all the way across, more likely just at the edge, the caliper bracket would bend and snap rather than leave a gap.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Strange, the inner pad is nearly down to the metal, the outer pad looks nearly new. Both replaced at the same time. Hand and foot brakes appeared to be working fine but over the last two weeks occasionally when using the foot brake there was a loud graunching noise from the offside rear brake. Not on each use of the foot brake, just occasionally.

Reply to
Vince

If the disc looks similar each side then uneven pad wear usually means pads stuck in caliper or sliding pins seized. Some Fords actually used different material on inner and outer pads (on the excort at one point), so uneven pad wear is a known problem on some vehicles without any direct fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

One of the slider pins is seized, I'll try a Taymar gas blowlamp on it tomorrow. Hopefully it can produce enough heat. What should I put on the pins to stop them seizing up in future?

Reply to
Vince

use Mintex Ceratec brake grease, all the shops sell it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful