Unusual brake pad wear - 1994 Espace 2.1TD

When braking the other evening I detected the unmistakeable sound and feel of metal on metal, which surprised me, because I'd replaced front pads and rear shoes less than a year ago.

On investigating the next morning I found the LH pair of front disc pads evenly worn, with about 7mm of pad thickness remaining. On the RH side one of the pads was still about 10mm thick. The other was down to metal.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the new pads, but I'm a bit baffled as to the cause of the asymmetric wear. The Girling caliper is free to move laterally on a pair of guide pins moving in the fixed carrier frame. A single piston acts directly on one pad and the free movement of the caliper allows an equivalent load to be applied to the other pad.

When I removed the RH caliper, the guide pins did not seem to be seized or stiff, although the rubber boot on one had come adrift at one end and there was some minor corrosion on the pin, which I cleaned up and re-greased. But if one or both of the pins had seized, so that the caliper could not move laterally, I would have expected the excessive wear to occur on the pad under the piston. In fact it was the other pad which had worn down.

Does anyone have an idea as to how the pad on the non-piston side could experience such excessive wear?

Peter Brumby

Reply to
Peter Brumby

Have a look at the disc itself - is it nice and smooth, or is there a rough surface.

In your case it certainly sounds as if something has been jamming here.

Reply to
Richard Murphy

Having pondered a little more, I guess one scenario could be that there was some stiffness in the guide pins, not sufficient to prevent braking load to be applied to the non-piston pad, but sufficient to prevent the load on that pad being fully relieved when the braking ceased - a sort of rachet effect. Does that sound plausible?

Peter Brumby

Reply to
Peter Brumby

Yup, one side will be contacting the disk lightly all the time, causing higher wear which will be accelerated by being hot all the time too.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I used to service a volvo 740 that wore one pad before the others, I rebuilt the caliper, renewed the discs, but it still did it. When it came in for servicing (twice a year) I would replace the one pad every other service, the rest of the pads lasted about three years , then I would change the lot. Brakes were very good and no problems on the roller brake test. But that one pad wore very significantly before the rest. The car has now gone to heaven at 200,000 plus, still running and driving well when scrapped, just very old.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

But normally the inboard pad is only slightly more worn. In this case be inboard pad is 100% more worn! Something must have stuck somewhere. Perhaps the OP inadvertently freed it when dismantling?

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

No, it was the outboard pad that was excessively worn - the cylinder/piston is on the inboard side.

Yes, I may have freed it - but I didn't notice any resistance when I withdrew the pins. I just noticed the loose rubber boot and mild corrosion.

Peter Brumby

Reply to
Peter Brumby

Even if the pins didn't feel stiff, when they are even slightly rough once the (large) braking load comes onto the pin they can jam up solid.

I've had pins that appear perfectly free doing jamming even when they were completely smooth and shiny, they were just lacking a bit of grease or had a little bit of dirt on them, it doesn't take a lot of friction to make them jam when you consider the amount of load they are under stopping a car.

-- James

Reply to
James