Buzzing sound when using Right Blinker

Hey y'all,

I have a 1995 Explorer XLT with 120K miles on it. I occassionaly hear a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing noise when I turn on the right blinker. I have yet to hear it when using the left blinker.

When I hear the noise, if I turn the blinker off the noise stops. If I turn the blinker back on, it usually operates normally without the noise, but sometimes buzzes again.

Anyone know where I would begin troubleshooting this? Is this a common part failure for an Explorer with a lot of miles?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I've heard that same noise from the blinker switch occasionally over the years. I've also got a 95 with 231000 miles on it. Currently I only drive the vehicle when I need its capabilities. The blinkers are working fine. This noise has happened so infrequently that I've never bothered to track it down. Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett

It's the turn signal control stalk (actually called the Multi-Funtion Switch). You can clean it, but the problem will come back. Search Google groups for it:

Hey y'all,

Reply to
Ratbert

I just replaced the multi-function switch on my '93 Aerostar, it was doing the same buzzing trick (it was also failing to auto-cancel).

I made the mistake of buying a cheap switch at Autozone made by Wells, it lasted all of about a week before the self-cancelling mechanism broke. A replacement switch cost $95 at my local Ford dealer, which was twice as much as the crap Autozone switch, but it works like the original. If you can tolerate a few days wait for shipping, the online Ford parts places have it for about $71.

Reply to
Mark Olson

I think mine only cost about $55.00, but it probably depends on the year.

Reply to
Ratbert

Hello,

I just replaced mine (95 EB EXP with 107k) for $57 at dealership for part. Was a fairly easy replacement. Works fine now. It will get "worse" if you don't fix it now (i.e. it will eventually buzz every time.) Everyone I talked to incl me got the buzz when right signal was tried. Is it the right for you?

Search google, as there is a short post on the best removal method for the stalk switch.

Reply to
Ted

It's the turn signal stalk. I don't know if it's a common problem, but I

*do* know that one of the contacts on your right side (either to the front or rear signal) is not making perfect contact, and that makes the electronic flasher think that one of the bulbs is out---and the buzzing is the flasher's way of letting you know that.

I had a '99 XLT that had the infamous stalk recall to cure wipers that came on for no reason. Before the recall, I took the stalk apart, cleaned all of the contacts, and then covered the contacts in white lithium grease. Everything worked fine after that.

If you don't mind taking things apart, you could fix it yourself. You *may* find that the contacts are too worn out to fix, but if they're OK, you won't have to buy a new stalk.

HTH...

Reply to
JonnyCab®

man that's odd, mine is also the right turn signal. Maybe we just make a lot more right turns than left ones :p

Reply to
Mike

Sweet, I'll give that a shot, worse case senario, I muck it up and end up at the dealership to buy a new one :)

thanks for the quick responses everyone.

Reply to
Mike