roaring sound in front, Explorer 95 XLT

Howdy,

I have a Ford Explorer 1995 XLT that I've had since 1997. It has always had a roaring sound while driving it. The sound is like the noise a set of mud tires makes while driving on pavement. I used to think it was my old set of tires, but, a year ago I put new tires on, Uniroyal Tiger Paws (I think that's the name) that have normal tread, not nobbies. The sound is still there while driving.

It doesn't really bother me, but when I decide to sell it, the buyer might be concerned. Also, last time I got it inspected, the inspection guy wasn't going to pass it until I told him it had always made the noise.

I've had the bearings repacked (or so the invoice says when I had my brake pads replaced).

So, any ideas what could cause the noise if it's not related to the tread on my tires?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
flakrat

Check for a siezed fan clutch...... These can sound almost like a plane taking off (is the noise related to engine speed or road speed?). If it is siezed, you may want to have it taken care of since it can affect gas mileage and even the available power to the rear wheels.

Jim Warman

It is related to road speed, not engine speed. I don't hear it until the vehicle begins to roll down the road (if I had a hill, I'd try going down it in neutral without the engine running, but, no hills here).

How do I check to see if the clutch fan is seized? Is it something I can see under the vehicle, or do I need to remove something?

Reply to
flakrat

If the noise is road speed related, I wouldn't bother with the fan clutch........ I feel the need to ask if this is the first pick up based vehicle you have owned.... In order to gain stiffness, they have sacrificed "isolation". I might suggest getting someone more familiar with these types of vehicles to road test it to see if you indeed have a problem.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Flak: Sounds like wheel bearing(s) or one of the differentials.

-Steve ('94 EB 4x4)

Reply to
SASCHOCH

ah, I should have mentioned this first. My girlfriend has a 1998 Explorer Sport, and my parents had a 1997 Explorer XLT and a 1995 Explorer. All three are absolutely quiet on the road when compared to my 1995. They are probably a lot louder than a Lexus, but mine just sounds like I've got nobbies on it.

The noise doesn't really bother me, but when the other riders (who have Explorers of their own) think it's really loud, then I just wonder if it's a problem that's building up to a major problem.

Also, note that this noise has always been there, through 3 sets of tires, 7 years, and 90,000 miles.

Reply to
flakrat

So, if it is either of these (wheel bearings or differentials), is there something I can inspect to verify / fix it?

I work on my motorcycle all the time and work on airplanes, so I'm mechanically inclined.

Also, is there a specific after market Explorer maintenance manual that this group recommends? (I ask, because on motorcycles, one manual publisher is hands over better than the other popular manuals)

Reply to
flakrat

Mike: Put her up on four stands, start engine, put in gear and listen for the noise. If you have an mechanics stethescope all the better to listen to the differentials. I forget, is your expy a 2WD or a 4WD? Is the noise there in 2WD and/or 4WD? I believe that there is a fill plug in (each of) the diffs. Should be full up to the bottom of the hole. I'm sorry, but I'm not too familiar with the 1995 model. I don't know what the spec. is for the 1995 wheel bearings. I know much more about the operation of the 1994 drive system. I use the Haynes manual +

+ this newsgroup.

-Steve ('94 EB 4x4)

Reply to
SASCHOCH