Changing Spark Plugs

Sorry to revisit this subject because I believe I recall reading earlier posts about the difficulty in doing such a mundane thing.

Now it is time for me to do this to my 1999 SOHC 4.0 XLT (2WD). When I looked under the hood, I could see that it wasn't going to be straight forward. Are there any special tools or access methods required?

BTW, I have already replaced the brake pads on all four wheels myself so I am not afraid of do-it-yourself at least to that extent.

I'll be driving down to Florida from Virginia next month so I would like to change the plugs and do some other preventive maintenance. My XLT has 72K miles and I've owned it since new (It came with the killer tires). Here's a few other questions.

- Transmission fluid replacement. I seen AAMCO's ads for "complete" fluid replacement for $100. What's the difference between this style of replacement and the conventional method. Is the price reasonable?

- Battery. The battery I have is the original and it never skipped a beat. But now it's six years old. Should I think about replacing it before my trip? If so, are there any recommendations for a replacement? I'd be very happy to get a battery that lasts like my original.

- Radiator flush. What's a reasonable price for this? Are there any special considerations?

Thank you for any insights on my questions.

- Steve

Reply to
Stephen Saunders

Changing the plugs is not too bad until you get to that last one on the pass. side rear. Thats a bi*ch! Your gonna cuss and break skin but you can do it. As far as the battery I just recently replaced my OE with a Sears Diehard SUV battery, seems great thus far. I also just last week flushed the radiator, I have a compressor and a mityvac, which made the job much easier. What I did was to "suck" out whats in the res. and radiator then refilled with clear water ran the engine til warm and "sucked" it out again and kept doing this until all clear water came out.This may be overkill but anyway! Then, I replaced with a 50/50 mix. I changed the belt and am thinking about changing the tensioner soon. The brakes I changed to ceramic pads which by the way are incredible! The stopping power of these pads are amazing! The tranny, well I haven't tackled that yet, but I think I will this summer.

Searcher1

97 XLT
Reply to
Searcher1

About "> Then, I replaced with a 50/50 mix". I have learned the hard way to always add anti corrosion additives. My well water eats up heater cores and radiators. Last radiator replaced under warranty came with free advice "put in good additive" or no more radiators!

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

For what it costs and how much is needed, I just buy a gallon of distilled water to mix with the coolant. True, if the water you are flushing the system with is bad this only helps a little. And since I can never get all the water out of the system after flushing until it runs clear, when refilling I add the required amount* of straight coolant first, then top off with straight water. If you premix to 50/50 and then add that to the system, the water still remaining in the system will dilute your 50/50 mix even further, and you'll end up with less than a 50/50 mix. After adding the required amount of coolant I've rarely seen a vehicle where you can fit the same amount of straight water in after that - you usually end up with extra water, which means there was still some water left in the system (or the wrong capacity listed in the manual). Don't know if this is how the "real" shops do it, but it's worked well for me all these years. We keep our vehicles to well over 100k miles and with regular changes in coolant I've never had a problem with boilover, freezing, plugged tubes, or scale buildup. YMMV.

Steve

  • To figure required amount of straight coolant, look up system capacity in your owner's manual. Multiply by .5 to get amount of straight coolant to add for a 50/50 mix. Multiply by .6 if you want to use a 60/40 mix (60% coolant increases resistance to both boilover and freezing). Most coolants recommend not exceeding a 70/30 mix.

Reply to
Just_Steve

the last plug isn't all to bad. What I do is install the plug socket, then get a 3/4" wrench and use the wrench to loosen the plug then spin the socket/plug out. Installing it the say way. One time I got a ratchet in there, before I realized.. I could use a 3/4" wrench and do the same thing. Works great and is just as easy as the other plugs.

Reply to
Eric F

thanks for the tip

searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Sorry to beat a dead horse...I'm getting ready to do mine. It looks like I can get fairly close to that last plug if I remove the radiator overflow tank and the washer fluid tank. But then the ac condensor is crammed right in next to the plug. Do you have ac? I'm about ready to pay a mechanic to change plugs...but I really hate to do that cuz I luv doing my own work.

Reply to
Justa Dawg