cruise problems with 94xlt

My 1994 XLT is having cruise control problems. I don't know if it is vacuum related or if the cruise module is bad. When I set the cruise at my desired speed, the cruise locks on that speed. Shortly thereafter, the car begins to accelerate. After accelerating 3-4 mph, the cruise goes into coast mode until the speed drops back to where I originally set it, then immdediately the cycle repeats itself. Accelerate...coast...accelerate...coast...accelerate...coast. It will make you motion sick to ride in the car. I would think if the vacuum system was the problem, the car would loose speed then accelerate to catch up, but this appears that the cruise computer doesn't know what the speed is set to. Anyone ever seen this before? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brad Hatchett

Reply to
Amy E. Hatchett

Brad, IIRC your cruise module is electronically driven. I have, in the past, seen add-on electronic equipment generate enough RFI to confuse the module and reproduce your symptoms. I realize that this is just a straw, but without any manuals here at home I can make no other suggestions other than to check the electrical connections, cable and module mounting.

On side thought.... with the cruise set, try tilting the sterring wheel through it's full range to see if there is perhaps a wiring problem and hit the rim of the wheel to see if there is a switch problem.

HTH

Jim Warman