Remove dealer's name

The dealer's small ad banner is on my Ford Explorer's lower left liftgate. It appears to be a decal--glued or otherwise sealed on. How do I safely remove it without ruining the paint beneath? Thanks.

Reply to
Nospam

It will probably just peel like colorforms. Be patient and work it.

Reply to
B. Newman

Reply to
Sonny

Heat the decal with a hair dryer and peel off. The heat loosens the glue and helps the decal/emblem release.

Reply to
Scott C

Reply to
txgizmo

I go with the hair dryer solution. Also, if there is any residual sticky you can use the hand cleaner that mechanics use that comes in what looks like a margarine tub. I use that all the time on store price labels where they always stick them on mirrors, book covers, etc. It gets every bit off sticky off very easily and quickly. Just remember to take plain water to remove the hand cleaner after you've gotten the sticky off.

Bob G

Reply to
BobsHere

Remember the days when the dealer would actually drill holes in your trunk lid to bolt-on the metal dealer nameplate? That used to drive my dad crazy. Once he refused delivery of a car cuz they drilled those holes and mounted that tag - and he had told them previously not to. The deal is that in those days it wound up being the first place the car would rust.

Of course these days they use nametags that are either just stickers, or mount on with mounting foam tape. Easy to get off. And, no rust if you leave it on!

I take them off.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Reply to
barrythedude

WD40 also works great for cleaning off residual glue from decals.

Reply to
gordo

I ALWAYS tell dealers that I refuse to accept any vehicle with any vehicle advertising anywhere...including the license frame. Nevertheless, I have purchased cars where it's already on. On new cars, however, those decals usually peel right off so it's no big deal. Yeah, I remember when they used to drill them on. Now THAT was permanent!

Reply to
B. Newman

Even worse was the Pickup trucks, where they would STAMP the name into the steel bumper !!

Reply to
rayfox

I'm the original poster of this message. The consensus appears to be to use a hair dryer to warm the glue and it should come right off. If it's warmed too much, though, will the sticker lift the paint off the car? Thanks to all.

Reply to
Nospam

Reply to
Sonny

Use the hair dryer. But do be careful, you can blister the paint if you overheat it. Just heat a from a distance of say 8-10 inches for 5 seconds and try to peel them, if they don't become pliable enough to remove, try for

7 seconds, you get the idea. Don't worry about trying to get the clue with the heat method, some will remain. Purchase some "goo gone" at a local grocery or drugstore. WD40 works as well, but generally needs to soak for a good bit on heavier spots.

Be careful about the suggestion for the "hand cleaner that mechanics use that comes in what looks like a margarine tub. " many of these products contain pumis( or other abrasive) that will absolutely ruin the paint.

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

The hair dryer method works pretty decent. You don't have to worry about the paint blistering, you'd have to hold the dryer on there for an hour before it would get very hot.

You'll have to hold it closer than 8-10" also- probably 1" or so will work well.

The way I usually do it is to spray the whole area with WD-40 and then use a razor blade at a very flat angle to slice between the sticker and the paint.

People get squeamish when I mention this method, but it is *really* a lot easier than it sounds. You don't have a problem dragging a razor blade across your face in the morning do you ? I guarantee you that your paint is a LOT tougher than your face is.

At any rate, all the methods mentioned will work okay, (except the car wash sprayer...) it's just what you are comfortable with !

good luck.

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Good luck. Bet you mar a finish before I do.

It is much easier to nick/scratch the paint than your face( your skin is more forgiving.) Plus,your skin will heal.

To the OP, pick your poison. What makes sense?

Reply to
Brandon

When I bought my explorer in 97 I insisted that they remove the chrome dealer emblem before I would sign the contract.

Reply to
Sauger