Disconnecting Explorer speedo cable

I own a four-wheel-drive '99 Explorer XLT with the 4.0L SOHC engine and automatic transmission. The vehicle has 48,000 miles on it. I'm considering selling the vehicle in a couple of months and want to be sure that the odometer doesn't reach 50,000 miles for resale purposes. Is there an easy way to temporarily disconnect the speedometer cable for this period of time? Thank you.

Reply to
John_E

Despite the obvious observation that this is both illegal and immoral, the bottom line is, your truck doesn't have a speedometer cable. There is a speed encoder in the transmission (or maybe it is the transfer case for 4WD - I am not sure) that sends a signal to the instrument cluster and the PCM. If you disconnect this, the transmission won't shift properly, the COntrol Trac won't function properly, the check engine light will come on, and a code will be set in the PCM. Why not post your VIN so we can do some additional checking.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

That has to be about the stupidest question I've ever read on here.

1) It's obviously illegal because you will be misrepresenting the vehicle and defrauding the potental buyer. 2) It makes very little difference if the truck has 48k miles or 52k miles to the resale price. Acording to kbb.com, a '99 XLT 4.0 SOHC with 48k miles has a private party value of $9,475. Same vehicle at 52k miles is $9,325. Is it worth $150 to you to defraud someone? How about risking jail time? Still worth it?

Jerk.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Reply to
Paul Fidler

John.... ya gotta get more sleep lad. Your posting habits have left a trail a mile wide that even a grade 8 drop out could follow. BTW, does that mail.com thing work??

OTOH, you might be able to sleep a little easier if you weren't trying to be such a dishonest bastuhd....

Reply to
Jim Warman