'97 explorer; problem starting engine on an incline

I have this crazy problem that just started happening with my '97 Explorer XLT SOHC (142k miles).

My home driveway slopes downward toward my garage and when I park the front of the truck is lower than the back. The angle is not too great. I would guess 20 degrees. When my gas tank is about 1/3 to 1/4 full, it's hard to get the engine to start some times and I then have to roll the truck down into the garage to level it out. Then the engine starts right up.

The crazy thing is that this just started being a problem about two months ago. The previous year I had no problems starting it up regardless of the amount of gas in the tank. Unless of course, the tank was almost bone dry.

So, any ideas what this could be? The fuel pump. A pump inside the tank? Any help on what this could be and the approx. cost to fix would be appreciated.

Thank you. derek

Reply to
Derek

I cannot explain why it just started happening, but here is a tsb on it from Ford. Happens to me as well. I just keep the tank over 1/3 full. Kind of an expensive fix I think

Engine - No Start/Parked On Incline w/Nose Down

Article No.

99-22-3 11/01/99

NO START - VEHICLE PARKED ON INCLINE WITH VEHICLE NOSE DOWN AND 1/4 TANK OF FUEL

FORD:

1997-2000 EXPLORER

MERCURY:

1997-2000 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE A no start condition when vehicle is parked on an incline with the vehicle in a nose down position and less than 1/4 tank of fuel may occur. This may be caused by the fuel pump sender assembly not reaching far enough into the front portion of the fuel tank reservoir when the vehicle is parked in this position.

ACTION Replace fuel pump/sender assembly with a revised fuel pump/sender assembly. Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual, Section 310-01, for removal and installation instructions.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

XL2Z-9H307-DA Fuel Pump/Sender Assembly (1999-2000)

F7PZ-9H307-BA Fuel Pump/Sender Assembly (1997-1998)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emission Warranty Coverage For 2000 Model Year Only

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

992203A Replace Fuel Pump 1.3 Hrs.

DEALER CODING CONDITION BASIC PART NO. CODE

9H307 16

OASIS CODES: 404000, 603300

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com