Elementary Question (but not for me)

Dropped by the dealership this morning to see if they could check info my hesitation problem when putting on the gas (after the first start in the morning) and see why I get an intermittent rough idle... They found some service releases about this and a subsequent TSB about it, to reprogram the PCM with a newer version...

But the thought occurred to me... what if I had gone in after my factory warranty expires (I'm at 31,250 miles as of now). Would I be charged for the reprogramming when it's a TSB? (labor?), or would that be a no-charge item (such as a recall).

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Just because something is covered by a TSB, does not mean that Ford will pay to repair it after the vehicle warranty expires.

If the dealer supports you, you sometimes can get so-called goodwill money to cover part or all of the cost of the repair. I had that for several TSB-related items on my 1992 Explorer, including the exhaust system and engine head gaskets. Ford refused to cover my rusted-through quarter panels, but it DID offer me $2,000 off a new Explorer (after I complained to various executive offices - I have not bought a new Explorers, however.)

One interesting thing to consider is whether some TSBs can be viewed as evidence of a defect that could, in some states, lead to a breach of warranty claim under the implied warranty provisions of the uniform commercial code. Some states do not permit manufacturers or retailers to disclaim the implied warranty. And while some states fix the duration of implied warranty to fives years, others, such as Connecticut, do not allow any time limits. I'd conclude, therefore, that, no matter how old the vehicle is, one might have a cause of action if it can be proven that the defect came with the vehicle when new.

I've often thought, for example, that owners of 91-93 models with rusted quarter panels (I just had mine fixed - $1,300) should consider a class-action suit, citing the FORD TSB that acknowledges the defect.

As far as safety-related issues, those are covered.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

If you decide to go ahead with a suit on those quarter panels (dogleg panels on mine) count me in...

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Good to know, Robert. I was thinking of sending them a letter of demand and seeing what happens. I'll post back if I decide to do it. By the way, the repair came out pretty good, using aftermarket ones that someone here - was that you? - pointed me to not so long ago. Mortorhaven, I think. I decided not to go after the OEM ones in Canada that Jim Warman found for me. I'll post before and after photos soon.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Cool... well, I did post some links about quarter panels & dogleg panels for you. If any were helpful, I'm glad. Would love to see those pics...

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Thanks Robert

I'll put the dog leg pics on my Web site and post a link here (in a separate thread) in a couple of days. I still have to take the after shots.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni