RE:1999 Rodeo irratic idle and jerky transmission

I haven't had the tranny fluid and filter changed since I got the car. When I bought it, it had around 43k miles on it. I have around 67k on it now. I believe that the rough idle is an air plenum leaky gasket. How much does it typically cost to have the tranny fluid and filter changed? I wanted to check the fluid to see if it's at the right level, but there's no freakin dipstick. steve

Reply to
<someone

How do I check the idle control solenoid? Is that something that can be checked by autozone (or any parts place)? The weird thing is that sometimes, after it levels off the idle, it'll idle really high. Sometimes, after it levels off the idle, it is far more likely to idle around

500 and sound/feel like it wants to die. I can really feel this at stop lights when I'm just idling up to the light. It vibrates the whole car. I have an air freshener hanging from the rear view and it vibrates that too. steve
Reply to
<someone

Ditch the air freshener-they just give you headaches

Joe D

Reply to
Joe D

ok, i'm getting the jerky transmission fixed. i took it to a tranny shop today. the shop is authorized by my warranty to fix my tranny. so, in other words, i'm getting a new and a rental car for $50 total. 8)

Reply to
<someone

Welp, I got the transmission replaced under warranty for $50. I'm still having the crazy idle, but it has backed off some since it's started getting warmer outside. The guy at the tranny shop suggested that it might be an idle sensor or something, but it's complely unrelated to the tranny problem.

-- steve

Reply to
<someone

having the crazy idle,

at the tranny shop

unrelated to the tranny

it IS the gasket on the intake maniflow..Mine went about 2 years ago. I replaced it myself.parts where 30 bucks..to have it done is around 475 bukaroos not a bad job for a backyard mac...

Reply to
dave

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE BULLETIN!!!!! THIS STUFF WORKS....

Check this out-Most of the electrical and mechanical info applies to all vehicles in the range but the PCM programming is specific, i.e. California. I suspect the P-6 ground behind the battery tray is the culprit. Loosen the bolt slightly with a 10mm socket and and move the attached harness back and forth while re-tightening the bolt. If you see any corrosion under the bolt take the bolt out and get a new one from the dealer(new bolt is different material and color).8-97086-823-0 Bolt; Cable Battery

Let us know if this helps

Joe D

Light Duty AMIGO 1998 Bulletin Engine 08/01/00

Light Duty AMIGO 1999 Bulletin Engine 08/01/00

Light Duty AMIGO 2000 Bulletin Engine 08/01/00

Light Duty RODEO 1998 Bulletin Engine 08/01/00

Light Duty RODEO 1999 Bulletin Engine 08/01/00

Light Duty RODEO 2000 Bulletin Engine 08/01/00

1998-2000 Rodeo/Amigo High/Erratic Idle Condition ISSUE DATE: AUGUST 2000

Affected Vehicles

1998 - 2000 Rodeo (UE)/Amigo (UA) models with 3.2L V6 engines

Service Information Condition: Some owners may comment on high/erratic idle and/or the MIL light on. In some cases, vacuum leak noise may be heard as well.

Possible Cause:

. There may be poor contact or loss of contact at various main ground points or electrical connections.

. Power steering pressure switch may be shorted with debris.

. Inlet manifold gasket may be leaking.

. Broadcast code and calibration part number may need to be updated.

Correction: To correct this condition, follow the procedures outlined in this bulletin to determine proper diagnosing, inspection and correction of ground contact points for proper electrical contact, power steering pressure switch cleaning or replacement and power steering system flush, replacement of inlet manifold gasket, and/or PCM reprogramming.

Service Procedure

1998 - 2000 models NOTE: Please refer to the appropriate workshop manual for the correct diagnosing procedure and/or follow the service procedures outlined in this bulletin for the vehicle being serviced.

  1. Inspect main ground points (refer to SB99-04-S001 for more information).

. P6 ground point-body [on the passenger side of engine compartment, between the battery and cruise control actuator (if equipped)]. (Figure 1)

. P10 ground point-engine (at the alternator bracket). (Figure 2)

Note: The 1998, 1999 or 2000 Rodeo/Amigo Electrical Troubleshooting Manual can assist in locating the vehicle ground distribution (i.e., ground contact points).

. Perform a voltage drop test at the main ground points.

. If the voltage drop test fails, then inspect and clean both the bolt and contact point.

. Verify and correct idle settings (if needed) as described in the workshop manual.

. If the repair procedure on this step solves the high idle condition, then return the vehicle to the customer. If the repair procedure on this step does not solve the high idle condition, then go to step 2 (16 pin Blue Connector).

A. Locate P-6/P10 ground in the engine compartment.

Figure 1: P-6 Ground

Figure 2: P-10 Ground

B. Remove P-6/P-10 ground terminal and bolt for ground contact inspection.

. Inspect ground contact area for corrosion.

. Inspect bolt and thread for damage or corrosion.

. Clean the ground area and fastening bolt thoroughly with a wire brush.

. Replace bolt if damaged or heavily corroded.

C. Install the P-6/P-10 ground terminal and bolt (tighten using hand tools only).

. Torque the P-6/P-10 ground terminal bolt to (14 N.m) 10 lb.ft.

Important: Do not use air/power tools when tightening. Over-tightening may occur. Use only hand tools and torque the bolt by hand. Do not over-tighten or under-tighten the bolt.

1998 - 1999 models only
  1. Inspect the 16 pin blue connector, located under the power steering fluid reservoir for corrosion, bent, or damaged pins (specifically for the Throttle Position Sensor). (Figure 3)

A. Disconnect the H-6 connector (16 pin blue connector) and clean with LOCTITE®/Permatex - Electrical Contact Cleaner or equivalent (p/n 24379 available at your local store).

Important: Do not use "Brake Cleaner or Carb Cleaner."

Note: If the repair procedure on this step solves the high idle condition, then return the vehicle to the customer. If the repair procedure on this step does not solve the high idle condition, then go to step 3 (POWERSTEERING PRESSURE SWITCH).

Figure 3: H-6 connector (Disconnect the H-6 connector and clean with LOCTITE/Permatex - Electrical Contact Cleaner or equivalent.)

  1. Inspect the power steering pressure switch as described in the appropriate workshop manual and/or follow the preceding steps.

Note: The power steering pressure switch fault can be diagnosed with high idle condition when in neutral with the idle speed at approximately

1200 RPM.

A. Disconnect the power steering pressure switch at the power steering pump and if the idle drops, then the switch was grounded. Or use Tech 2 to run a status check on the power steering pressure switch. If the switch was not grounded, then go to step 4. If the switch was grounded, then proceed:

. FOR 1998 models, replace the power steering pressure switch.

. FOR 1999 models, remove the power steering pressure switch and clean with brake cleaner and screw driver (or equivalent tool) to scrape off all the debris causing the switch to short. (Figures 4 & 5)

. Flush the power steering system to remove any foreign material, after the power steering pressure switch has been reinstalled.

Note: If the repair procedure on this step solves the high idle condition, then return the vehicle to the customer. If the repair procedure described on this step does not solve the high idle condition, then go to step 4 (INLET MANIFOLD GASKET).

Figure 4: Power Steering Pump

Figure 5: Power Steering Pressure Switch

  1. Refer to TSB SB00-01-S005 and/or inspect the inlet manifold gasket for any leaks and replace the inlet manifold gasket as needed on all 1998 -
1999 Rodeo, V6 models prior to engine breakpoint: 845194. Please perform VIN verification prior to performing any repairs to eliminate potential invalid VIN, cancellation of vehicle warranty coverage, verification of any open campaign circumstances and duplication of previous repair.

Note: A leaking and/or cracked inlet manifold gasket may turn the MIL light ON, and/or a vacuum leak noise may be heard, which may lead to high/intermittent rough idle.

A. Remove the Common Chamber Assembly as described in the Workshop Manual.

Important: Remove the Common Chamber as one piece (separation of upper and lower chamber is not required).

B. Disconnect the EGR valve pipe and EGR valve harness. (Figure 6 & 7)

Figure 6: EGR Harness

Figure 7: EGR valve pipe

Note: By disconnecting the EGR valve pipe from the EGR valve, removal of the EGR valve can be eliminated.

C. Carefully remove both old inlet manifold gaskets and clean the surfaces thoroughly with a plastic gasket scrapper or any equivalent tool (making sure that all the old gasket material has been removed).

Important: Do not use surface conditioning discs when cleaning engine gasket sealing surfaces and/or cleaning engine parts. Please refer to IB00-14-S001 for more information.

D. Install the new inlet manifold gaskets and the common chamber assembly.

Note: If the repair procedure on this step solves the high idle condition, then return the vehicle to the customer. If the repair procedures on this step does not solve the high idle condition, then PCM reprogramming may be required. Proceed to PCM Reprogramming in this bulletin.

PCM Reprogramming (1999 Rodeo with A/T, LEV California models only)

  1. Refer to TSB SB00-03-S001 and/or follow the Driveability/Emissions Manual troubleshooting procedure in the appropriate workshop manual and use the TECH 2 scan tool to read the current PCM Calibration number and Broadcast code. Refer to the ITCS for the updated calibration.

  1. Refer to Chart A for the correct Calibration number. Then refer to the ITCS for the Service Programming Procedure. All SPS procedures are outlined in the ITCS.

Chart A

YEAR APPLICATION MODEL TRANS BROADCAST CODE CALIBRATION NUMBER

99 CALIFORNIA RODEO/ AMIGO 3.2L A/T(LEV) DDLW 09393319

Reply to
Joe D

Reply to
Busman