loud clunk dissengageing 4wd

my 95 limited has electric 4wd. when i have been in 4wd and i stop and switch back to 2wd i get a very loud clunk almost a bang. it sounds like it is comeing from the transfer case or the transmission. is there anything i can check, or where should i start to check. thanks alot. i love my explorer.

Reply to
noname

When releasing 4WD, one should always back up a few feet after the shift is made... this will release any torsional stresses in the driveline and reduce the noises you experience. This holds true for all 4WD systems that lock front and rear driveshafts together mechanically.

HTH.

Jim Warman

Reply to
noname

Same thing happened to me. In addition to the backing up indicated by the another poster, you should only switch from 2wd to 4wd and back when in neutral. I found that when I did this the clunk stopped immediately.

SD

Reply to
Shashay Doofray

Reply to