Explorer fuse #10 blown

I have a 98 Explorer XLT (5.0 V8), and fuse #10 is blown. Replacing it simply results in a new useless fuse. Apparently this fuse protects about 10 different circuits -- turn signal, compass/temp module, blend door actuator, shift lock, GEM, etc.

I don't want to tear the car apart looking for the connectors to all these things, trying to determine which one is the problem. Any suggestions on how to narrow my search? Are any of the devices on this fuse known to have problems?

thanks, Eric

Reply to
evonhoene

I have a 98 Explorer XLT (5.0 V8), and fuse #10 is blown. Replacing it simply results in a new useless fuse. Apparently this fuse protects about 10 different circuits -- turn signal, compass/temp module, blend door actuator, shift lock, GEM, etc.

I don't want to tear the car apart looking for the connectors to all these things, trying to determine which one is the problem. Any suggestions on how to narrow my search? Are any of the devices on this fuse known to have problems?

thanks, Eric

Reply to
evonhoene

I have a '98 Explorer XLT, 5.0 V8, and fuse #10 is blown. Replacing it, of course, immediately results in another useless fuse. But tracing the problems seems like a real challenge. The fuse feeds about 10 different circuits -- compass/temp module, blend door actuator, heater a/c control, GEM, turn signal, etc.

I'd rather not tear my car apart searching for the connectors to each of these circuits, trying to find the one that's bad. Especially since I don't really know where to find them. Any suggestions on how to narrow my search? Are any circuits on this fuse known to have problems?

thanks, Eric

Reply to
evonhoene

Take the dead fuse and hook up a 12 volt lamp to it. Pug this into the place where that fuse is supposed to go. If there is a short somewhere or a heavy load the lamp will light and limit thecurrent in that circuit so no damage is done. Now you can disconnect each of the items one at a time that this fuse is protecting. When you disconnect the problem, the lamp will go out and will have isolated the problem. This also lets you flex and maipulate wires and cables to see if they are at fault. Realize that with this test lamp in place other items on the circuit will not likely work well as they can't get full voltage.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Do a smoke test................