4wd lights blinking - 4wd not working

Just thought I should post my results to his group and maybe save someone a $1000+ repair bill like our local ford dealer in Bismarck, ND (there's only one so you should easily figure out who it is) tried to talk me into.

Ok, here are the details. I have a 95 Explorer XL 4WD. The 4WD has not been working for a while although the dash lights come on when you turn the dial to 4WD Auto or 4WD Lo. But, when you have the switch in

2WD the 4WD and 4WD Lo lights on the dash will blink on and off 6 times in succession about every minute or two when the key is on. This is obviously an error code which I have no way of finding out other than taking it to the dealer and having them hook up there computer, right? I did so and was told that there is a minimum $80 fee but since this shouldn't take over 1 hour, thats all it will be. Wrong. It was $110, you know for shop supplies, paper towels, etc. Oh yah, the code means they have to REPLACE THE WHOLE TRANSFER CASE! But they know a new one would probably cost me too much so they can find a good used one for $500 .... and ... about $500 labor to put it in. I, as politely as I could, said no thank you, I'll just drive it as a 2WD vehicle.

But, upon a little further research mainly in this group, I narrowed the likely cause to either 1) a faulty fuse or relay in the electronically controlled 4WD system or 2) faulty speed sensors in the transfer case. It just did not seem like this was a mechanical problem. So I started with the fuses. All good. Then the relay. Others have indicated that the relay that controls the 4WD also controls the power windows. It is part number FOAZ 14N089A. A 1 inch cube located in a box hidden behind the dash kinda below and a little to the right of the steering wheel. O'Reillys had this part on hand for a whoping $7.95. Bought it, said a little pray, plugged it in .... problem solved. To God be the glory. I mean that ... he gives us all the inspiration and ability to solve these problems.

Moral of my long story is this. I was really proud of myself for figuring out this problem and saving myself $1000 on an unneeded repair bill. But, I believe God gives each one of us gifts, abilities, and inspirations and gets as much enjoyment from our successes as we do ourselves. We're accustomed to the famous person when receiving an award saying "I just want to first thank God ..." or the athlete who, after making a touchdown, kneels then points a finger to the sky in acknowledgment. So in my small way I say "Thank you Lord".

Reply to
wirelesswb

Actually the flashing light simply says that a code exists in the 4WD computer. In my recent case it was a sensor had gone bad. At my local mechanic it was about a $200 repair (parts, installation, and code check) to replace both sensors. He told me that it was causing the 4WD to bounce in and out of operation which could in the long run lead to the failure you had. I am not saying your failure was caused by ignoring the light, but I am glad I had mine checked out.

I however agree with your assessment of how much money to put into an old vehicle.

Art

Reply to
Art McClinton