Fuel Gauge problem

2003 Explorer XLT 4.0L 60K miles

My fuel gauge has quit working. A few weeks ago after filling up the gauge took a few min. to go back up to full. This fill up it pegged below empty then after a day or so it went back up to almost

1/4. However it has not moved since then, but I haven't drove much either. The fuel seems to be pumping fine, or at least the truck runs fine at any throttle level. I checked the newsgroup but I didn't find any answers. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I haven't posted on here for a while, it's good to see some of the same ones still here!

Richard Grimes '99 Explorer '01 F150 '03 Explorer '03 Ranger all different colors and all sitting in the driveway!

Reply to
Richard

This is not a definitive answer, but I had such a problem in one of my Explorers (either '99 or '00) and it went away right after I replaced the battery. My simple mind thinks a weak battery didn't provide enough "juice" to bring the needle up right away, but that the new one did. If you find a better explanation/solution to your problem please post it here for others.

Reply to
CWLee

More likely the changing of the battery reset the computer which buffers the fuel gauge signal...

Reply to
PeterD

Well, I know it is not "fixed" but it did start working again. Go figure.....

Reply to
Richard