had to disconnect battery to start engine 94 EXPLORER

Hi All!

On occasion, when I turn the key, I hear no fuel pump and I only get one click (like a breaker opening) at this time the door panel lights are real dim and the headlights do not burn. Usually at 30-120 seconds the lights come on bright, I hear the fuel pump, and am then allowed to complete the ignition process-starter activates, ect. Yesterday the Explorer would not start until I disconnected the battery and let whatever it is reset. Any ideas? Does this sound like the fuel safety switch? I did not know where it was located until last night after I had a successful start-at which point the fuel safety switch was in its proper position. I'll know where to look for the switch next time, but if it is not the switch that means I'm still looking for a breaker, relay, or something similar that does a 99% disconnect of the ignition/battery. Thanks!

dan

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.

What year is the Explorer? If it's a '91-94 then the fuel pump relay is located under the hood in the big fuse box. It's silver I think. There is another relay next to it. You should be able to switch them to see if it solves the problem. Also check your battery cables. The can look fine on the outside and fall apart on the inside. Especially the positive cable.

Reply to
Ulysses

Mr. Obvious here... What about a bad cable, which being moved around when you disconnect it, makes contact again when you connect it.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Hi Herb, Thanks for the note! I guess it is always possible that it was the battery cable. So far, I have not had a repeat of the symptoms-

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.