How can I tell if my 4WD is working?

Hi all:

Is there is simple way to verify that my 4wd is working? I jacked up the car so that all four wheels were off the ground, and put it in drive, but only the rear wheels turned. This happened in 4wd auto and 4wd low.

I've just moved from California to a part of the country where it snows, and would really like to know if I have 4wd before it turns white!

Thanks!

Reply to
Kevin

In 4WD-Lo (and in 4WD-Hi on '97 and later models) the transfer case locks the front and rear driveshafts, so at least one wheel should be turning at either end. Sounds like you may have a problem.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

In 4-HI or 4-LO, the front and rear drive shafts are supposed to be locked, so front and rear wheels should turn.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Is this control trac??

I think that there has to be some kind of slippage for enough torque to build to properly engage the system.

You could ask your dealer.

HAND

Reply to
H. M. Leary

No, it's not an automatic system I'm describing. It's the old-style four-wheel-drive, which is engaged when the selector is turned to 4-HI or 4-LO; some systems don't have one or the other. But when 4-HI or 4-LO is engaged, the transfer case should lock the front & rear drive shafts together, so they both turn.

When in auto mode, yes. When in 4-HI or 4-Lo, no.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Try jacking up only the rear wheels and see if the front wheels make it go forward.

Reply to
gordo

I don't know if Ford's 4wd operates the same but I had a 92 Chevy Blazer 4wd which the front drive wouldn't engage immediately. You had to drive it forward for a short distance before all 4 wheels would hook up. There would be a noticable difference in steering effort when the fronts engaged. The truck felt harder to make tight turns when

4wd was engaged.
Reply to
gordo

short distance

Reply to
barrythedude

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

My Explorer is a '96 with control trac 4 WD. Sorry I forgot to mention this. Sounds like I need to find a slippery road, and see if there's a difference between 2wd and 4wd.

Thanks again!!

Cheers, Kevin

a short distance

Reply to
Kevin

go find a desert somewhere, and nail it..

if you got 4 ruts dug, you got 4 wheels doin the diggin!

Reply to
rayfox

I tried that in my Expedition. Damn near broke my neck! It did NOT break loose.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Take it out in the dirt and compare. In addition if you put it in 4WD-LO you should notice the difference immediately. I have a

95 with 229000 miles and the 4WD system has never given me any problems. I moved from California to Colorado 23 years ago and sure enough the first time it snowed I got into a fender bender in a parking lot. Four wheel drive does little when you are trying to stop on ice. Anti-lock brakes are another story. Mark

Kev> Hi all:

Reply to
Mark Barrett