91 Explorer Missing

My Explorer 188K (beloved 'ol gal) has developed a serious miss under a load mostly. I have the 5 speed tranny. Just rr'd the plugs and wires are relatively new (4mos). Just changed fuel filter. SHould I try to shotgun a coil pack. It has never been replaced.

Reply to
rick

Check your plug wires with an ohmmeter first (I assume your plug change was in the past week or two??). Often, the wires can be a real booger to get off the plugs.... if we inadvertently pull on the wire instead of the plug boot, we can separate the fabric core of the cable. At first, the gap will be quite small and very unnoticeable whilst driving but, over time, the arc as the spark bridges the gap in the wire will open the space up and become noticeable as a miss under load (when cylinder pressures drive required voltages up).

HTH.

Jim Warman