how to change battery

decided to change battery in my 2000 limited-original battery is 3.5 years old.

how is best way to preserve radio settings and/or other engine settings when swapping batteries?

Reply to
stevef

I don't know if it would work, because I haven't tried it as yet, but I would think that one of those battery chargers applied to the terminal clamps would be sufficient to keep the settings intact. Just make sure it is applied before disconnecting battery.

Reply to
John R

From a similar question I asked on the alt.autos.toyota.truck NG

"You can also use one of those little things you plug into your cig lighter that has a 9v battery on it to keep all your memory devices charged while working on stuff. It doesn't have enough power to really do any damage if grounded out (they also have a fuse in them for that), but it'll keep all your radio stations, clocks and alarms happy for quite a while."

I choose not to go this route. Simply disconnected the battery (proper procedures followed).

If you have an alarm, make sure the key fob/alarm deactivation device is nearby (if not in your hand) when you reconnect the battery...

Rick

-- Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Reply to
pray4surf

thanks John I thought about doing the charger thing. I'm just not sure it would work. I think I saw somewhere about a 9 volt supply that would plug into cig lighter to keep voltage supplied while swapping batteries.

Reply to
stevef

I am a degreed electronics tech with /20 odd years under my belt. It will work, I just never do it because I don't mind setting things back up.

Reply to
John R