Humming '96 Explorer

Hi all,

Has anyone had this problem? My '96 Explorer (V6, 4WD, 111.000 miles) occasionally emits a loud humming sound at idle. This only happens when the truck is hot. It sounded like it was coming from the air intake, so I pulled the intake duct off the air filter housing, and the sound came through the duct loud and clear. I suppose that the duct could simply be acting as a waveguide; an attempt at further disassembly caused the engine to die. There is no loss of performance, the truck isn't overheating, and to my knowledge, it has never overheated. There are no codes set, and the water pump was replaced at about 65,000 miles.

Any ideas? It's only annoying now, but if it could be something more serious than that, I'd sure like to find out before my next road trip!

Thanks much! Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

My guess would be that it's your fan clutch. As the temperature rises, the clutch engages furthur (as I understand it) and you could be hearing the hum of the fan.

On mine, when it's hot the sound will only rise so high and level off, even as engine RPM's increase which leads me to believe that the clutch starts slipping at that point where it levels off because it doesn't need to turn any faster.

Or can anyone tell me differently?

Reply to
IanCT

hooter valve? iac if it a 4.0