Can a Tyre Make Howling/Humming Noise?

I occasionally hear a howling/humming noise from the front right side of my Lexus ES330. The noise intermittently occurs only at a speed higher than

50mph. Moreover, although I'm not 100% sure, I only hear it when driving on certain highways/parkways. So, it seems that the front right tyre could be the culprit. I've been driving for more than 20 years and never heard such a noise from a tyre before. What do you think?
Reply to
Jonathan Fidelis

Could be a wheel bearing, as well.

Does it happen with the steering wheel turned slightly one way, but not when it's turned slightly the other way? When I say "slightly", I mean the sort of turning you'd do to compensate for the road's crown, or a gentle bend in the motorway.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Had the same thing happen with a Volvo S80. There was a slight growling sound coming from the right front end. The dealer replaced both front bearings under warranty, but the noise remained. A change of tires three months later eliminated the problem.

Reply to
John S.

I know that it can be a tire/road combination because I have something similar happen only at lower speed and only on a certain stretch of newly paved road. I suspected a problem with a bearing or rear end because I know I have 0.100 end play in the axle. It never happens anywhere else that I drive. If you are having this noise more regularly, I would check bering adjustment just to be sure.

Reply to
Al Bundy