engine humming

I have a 2001 explorer Sport and I am hearing a humming noise....Sounds like its coming from the engine...I had the transmission flushed thinking maybe that would solve the humming...but its still there...any suggestions?

Reply to
Joe Williams

I had that happen on my 96. Turned out there is a small motor on the air intake that operates a damper for quicker warm ups. It had failed causing the humming to increase as the engine warmed up. Gets really loud.

Reply to
upc_bobcline

Vacuum leaks can often offer up a reedy sounding buzz or hum. You can try disconnecting the IAC and see if that might be the problem..... there is no "warm up valve" on the intake.

Jim Warman

I had the same problem on my '98. Some times it would cause a sputter if I got on the gas too quick from a stop. I would call it more of a whistling however.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio