i need help with my 1993 ford explorer not starting

I am looking for someone who might be able to help me find out the reason I cant get my explorer to start. When i turn the switch on I have power to my windows, locks, etc. but when i turn it completely over it doesnt even make a sound. Now I have had someone look at it and I know its not the starter because you can put it in nuteral and fire it from under the hood. I have also bought a new cylenoid swith and changed it out and i still have the same problem. my explorer is a 1993 4x4 xlt 5 speed. Someone told me that it could have something to do with the clutch relay or something but im not sure plz help me!!! Green_Eyes

Reply to
Green_Eye_Gurl28

On my '93 2WD XLT, my fuel shutoff switch wiggles loose every now and then. My symptoms aren't exactly like yours; I can crank, but it won't start. My switch is under the carpet on the firewall on the passenger side. Peel back the carpet & pad, and it's next to the transmission hump. I push it tight, and usually starts up instantly. Worth a try.

If not the shutoff switch, it's your ignition switch or a loose wire. Don't know about the clutch relay, mine's an automatic. You should be able to bypass the clutch relay (unplug it and put a jumper wire in the connector) to test it.

Chuck

Green_Eye_Gurl28 wrote:

Reply to
cmiles3

All of my Explorers have automatics but I think it's safe to assume that there is a switch that won't allow the starter to run unless the clutch is depressed. You may need to buy a Chilton's or Hayne's manual to locate it (less than $20 at most auto parts stores). You might also want to check the ignition switch.

How, exactly, were you able to get the starter to turn under the hood? Did you bypass the starter relay and the selenoid or just the relay? The relay is usually on the fenderwall on the battery side and the selenoid is on the starter motor (at least on mine).

Reply to
Ulysses

This happened to me just 2 weeks ago, though mine is an automatic.

The positive battery cable has 2 cables, one cable is bigger than the other. On mine, the smaller cable lost electrical connection (split in two). I get power to all windows, radio, etc, but won't start. Once I splice the cable, it started. This is the second time it happened now.

I don't have a Ford manual but I'm guessing the small cable goes to some kind of controller that controls a parameter to enable the engine to start.

Reply to
Zilla