1993 firing problem. I need HELP

I have a 1993 spd. 4.0 that will turn over but not start. for a while was able to bump the selenoid and provided there was fire from the plu wire to the coil pack, it would crank up. When that no longer worked an there was no fire to the coil,I replaced the coil pack. I cranked up once The second time I tried to take off in , it acted the same way. Turn ove but not fire up. Plenty of gas, New fuel pump and filter, new plugs an wires, timing chain okay just no fire. Does anyone know whats going o with this thing? I'm truely beginning to believe my truck is possessed!! Help !!

-

Message posted using

information at

dferdon

I have a 1993, 5 spd. ,4.0 that will turn over but not start. for a whil I was able to bump the selenoid and provided there was fire from the plug wire to the coil pack, it would crank up. When that no longer worked and there was no fire to the coil,I replaced the coil pack. It cranked u once. The second time I tried to take off in it , it acted the same way. Tur over but not fire up. Plenty of gas, New fuel pump and filter, new plugs and wires, timing chain okay just no fire. Does anyone know whats going on with this thing? I'm truely beginning to believe my truck is possessed!!! Help !!

-

Message posted using

information at

dferdon

Just off the top of my head a couple of things that could cause it to not fire would be a bad battery, bad battery cable(s), or a bad crankshaft position sensor. Or possibly a bad wire somewhere (rats?) . Sometimes the battery will have enough juice to turn the engine but (I guess) the computer will just say no to sparks if the battery voltage is too low. Some people have argued with me on this but it has happened to me. Jump starting may or may not help as long as the bad battery is still in there and connected. These engines are also notorious for bad battery cables, especially the positive cable. I don't remember the exact symptoms of a bad ignition switch but I would not rule that out either.

More information at

Ulysses

More information at

Check the fuel pump relay. To trouble shoot it, replace it temporarily with the blower relay, they are the same.

Reply to
Bob

Hmmm I never thought about a low battery. When I first started having thi trouble, I could easily start the truck by jumping the selenoid with screw driver. It worked for a short time, the got progressively harder When I put on the new coil pack, I was back to being able to start i easily jumping the selenoid. What about the ignition control module or th SPOUT connector? I dont know much about these two and dont want to distur them until Im more sure what their functions are

-

Message posted using

information at

dferdon

my fuel system was the first thing I checked. I made that mistake not to long ago. I went round and round thinking my problem was electrical. really learned my lesson that time. Thanks tho, Checking it again surle couldnt hur

-

Message posted using

information at

dferdon

try getting your ecm checked (computer) could have a fault in the ignition processor, it sends a faint signal to your coil pack and tells it when to turn off and on im almost 100% positive this is the problem. location is under passenger side of dash located on kick panel. part is only like 10 bucks at the junkyard.

Reply to
MARVIN HUNT

More information at

If you didn't yet check the crankshaft position sensor I'm not certain where it is on your engine but on the '97 4.0 it's in the front, underneath, pointing at the crankshaft pulley. It has two wires. Possible problems might be a damaged wire, bad sensor, or dirty connection. If the computer doesn't know what the crankshaft position is it won't spark. The cheapest, easiest thing to do would be to check it for damage and clean the connection.

Other than that I'd say it's time to get your error codes read. The codes should point to whatever is at fault. Many auto parts stores will read the codes for free so they can sell you parts.

Reply to
Ulysses